Chelwood, Somerset Genealogy
Guide to Chelwood, Somerset family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Clutton|
|Parish registers: 1720|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1603|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Bath and Wells (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
CHELWOOD (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Clutton, hundred of Keynsham, E. division of Somerset, 2 miles (S. E.) from Pensford. There is an endowed chapel belonging to the Independents.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Chelwood, Somerset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|CHELWOOD PARISH Online Records|
||1611-1664, 1720-1908|| |
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474599.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 15 September 2013.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1531-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Marriage Registers, Bonds and Allegations, 1754-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Church of England Burials, 1813-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 February 2014.
- 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 30 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- Somerset Online Parish Clerks Genealogy, accessed 22 October 2013.