Cherokee County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Cherokee County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Cherokee County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 26, 1831|
|Address|| Cherokee County Courthouse|
90 N Street
Canton, GA 30114-2794
Cherokee County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Cherokee County, Georgia Record Dates
Cherokee County Courthouse
90 N Street Canton, GA 30114-2794
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court and land records from 1833; Probate Court has birth, marriage, death, burial and probate records.
Clerk of Superior Court
90 North Street
Canton, GA 30114
Phone: (678) 493-6511
Probate Court of Cherokee County
90 North Street
Canton, GA 30114
Phone: (678) 493-6160
1831--Cherokee County was created 26 December 1831 from Cherokee Lands. County seat: Canton 
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1927 Fire destroyed the courthouse on 10 March, but county records were carried to safety.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Hickory Flat Cemetery, Holly Springs BillionGraves
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Georgia Cemeteries for more information.|
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Scanned land records from 1832 onward can be searched online at the Cherokee County Georgia Deed Portal. Real Estate Index 1832 - 1898 and indexes from July 1979 - December 1988 are available for viewing. Years 1899 - 1979 indexes are currently in the process of being preserved and scanned.
Local histories are available for Cherokee County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Military - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
Cherokee County Soldiers in the Mexican War Georgia Pioneers ($).
Index to Georgia's Confederate Pension Supplements. compiled by Ted O. Brook and Linda Woodward Geiger 1999. 210 pages
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Cherokee County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Cherokee County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 2nd Battalion, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company F
- - 14th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company B
- - 34th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company B
- - 36th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Broyles') (Confederate) , Company A and E
- - 41st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company C
- - 43rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company A and B
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- Cherokee County Heritage Book Committee (Cherokee County, Ga.). 1998. The heritage of Cherokee County, Georgia, 1831-1998. [Cherokee County, Ga.]: Cherokee County Heritage Book Committee. (page 63-64) 975.8253 H2h
- Marlin, Lloyd G. 1932. The history of Cherokee County. Atlanta: Walter W. Brown Pub. Co. (page 65-83) FHL Collection
- Cherokee County Heritage Book Committee (Cherokee County, Ga.). 1998. The heritage of Cherokee County, Georgia, 1831-1998. [Cherokee County, Ga.]: Cherokee County Heritage Book Committee. (page 2-24) 975.8253 H2h
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Cherokee County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Cherokee County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- Legal Advertising 1868-1873 Georgia Pioneers ($).
- Divorces 1885-1886 Georgia Pioneers ($).
Annotated Obituaries from the Cherokee Advance, Canton, Georgia, 1880-1938. by John Carver, 2003. Over 600 pages.
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills, Administrator's Bonds, Guardianships (digital images) Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1848-1866 - Index to Cherokee county Will Bk B 1848-1866 Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1848-1852 - Index to Cherokee County Inventories, Appraisements, Vouchers, Sales, Annual Returns 1848-1852 Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1847-1921 - Abstracts of Cherokee County, Georgia, Wills and Bonds, 1847-1921. by John Carver 2005 Over 350 pages.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1785-1950 Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1808-1967 Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828-1978 Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1699-1944 Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1841-1870 - Cherokee County Marriage Book D Index 1841-1870. Batch M712471 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1841-1910 - Cherokee County Marriages 1841-1910. compiled by John Carver 2002. Groom & Bride lists. 320 pages
- 1870-1884 - Cherokee County Marriage Book E Index 1870-1884. Batch M712472 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1884-1895 - Cherokee County Marriage Books F and G Index 1884-1895. Batch M712473 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1933-1998 Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1914-1927 Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1928-1939 Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1859-60, 1869-70, 1879-80 - Cherokee County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Cherokee County Historical Society
RR 2, Box 126
Ball Ground (Georgia) Historical Society
Ball Ground City Hall
215 Valley Street
Ball Ground, Georgia
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Cherokee County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Ball Ground (Georgia) Historical Society
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Cherokee County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Cherokee County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cherokee County, Georgia. Page 153 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 19-20. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.