Clackmannanshire, Scotland Genealogy
|Scotland Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Clackmannanshire is a small county in the interior of Scotland, and is, in fact, known as "The Wee County" due to it being the smallest county in Scotland. It is bounded on the north and north-west by Perthshire, from which it is separated by the Ochil Hills, on the east by the county of Fife, and on the south and south-west by the river Forth. It is about 10 miles in length and 8 miles in extreme breadth, comprising an area of 52 square miles or 33,280 acres.
It comprises four parishes with part of another. For civil purposes it is associated with the county of Kinross under one sheriff, with a sub-sheriff for each. It contains the towns of Clackmannan and Alloa.
The population of the county in 1851 was 19,155.
(Source: Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 2nd ed., 1851. Family History Library book 941 E5L.)
ScotlandsPeople is one of the largest online sources of original genealogical information. If you are researching UK genealogy, your Scottish ancestry or building your Scottish family tree, they have more than 100 million records to look through.
The comprehensive choice of Scottish records includes:
For more detail on exact record availability, see Availability. For examples of the records available, see Record Types and Examples. More information on the site, its contents, and instructions for using it can be found in the ScotlandsPeople Wiki article. Indexes may be searched for free, and there is a small pay per view fee to see the actual digitized record.
Many census records have been indexed by surname. Some indexes cover one parish (and will be listed in the Wiki on the parish page) and some indexes are for the county as a whole. The Family History Library has county-wide census placename indexes for Clackmannanshire for 1881. Click here for other census indexes available at the library.
- ScotlandsPeople, index, images, free index, pay per view ($)
- Scotland Census, 1841, no images. Also at MyHeritage, index, ($). Also at FindMyPast, index, ($). Also at Ancestry.com, index, ($).
- Scotland Census, 1851, no images. Also at MyHeritage, index, ($). Also at FindMyPast, index, ($). Also at Ancestry.com, index, ($).
- Scotland Census, 1861, no images. Also at MyHeritage, index, ($). Also at FindMyPast, index, ($). Also at Ancestry.com, index, ($).
- Scotland Census, 1871, no images. Also at FindMyPast, index, ($). Also at Ancestry.com, index, ($).
- Scotland Census, 1881, no images. Also at FindMyPast, index, ($). Also at Ancestry.com, index, ($).
- Scotland Census, 1891, no images. Also at FindMyPast, index, ($). Also at Ancestry.com, index, ($).
- Scotland Census, 1901, index and images, ($). Also at FindMyPast, index, ($). Also at Ancestry.com, index, ($).
- Scotland Census, 1911, index and images, ($).
Some of the Clackmannanshire parish records are indexed in Clackmannanshire, Scotland, Extracted Parish Records.
This database is a collection of historical parish registers from the county of Clackmannanshire in the country of Scotland. The records in this collection can range in date from the early 1500s to the mid- to late-1800s. The records include baptisms/christenings, burials, marriages, tombstone inscriptions, obituaries, tax lists, wills, and other miscellaneous types of records. Also included are some records from non-conformist churches. You will find interesting phonetic spelling. Some of the records may be in Latin or even a Welsh or Scottish dialect. Due to the nature of the records and because the records were originally compiled by a third party, it is difficult to absolutely verify the completeness and validity of the data.
Here is a list of historic parishes, with their parish numbers, for Clackmannanshire. Click on the parish name to see information about records. Click on this link to see an outline map of the parishes of Clackmannanshire.
Civil Registration or Statutory Registers
For details on information found in statutory registers and other methods of searching them, see Scotland Statutory Registers - Vital Records.
Courtesy of the National Library of Scotland, Post Office Directories are avilable online. The directory available for Clackmannanshire is:
1877: This are available in either PDF format or viewable online. The parishes it includes are:
- Burgh of Alloa
Central Scotland Family History Society
4 Fir Lane
Scottish Genealogy Society
15 Victoria Terrace
0131 220 3677
- Clackmannanshire Resources and help pages on RootsChat Clackmannanshire Resources and help pages. (Free).