Clay County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Clay County West Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Clay County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||March 29, 1858|
|Address|| Clay County Courthouse|
207 Main Street
Clay, WV 25043
Clay County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Clay County, West Virginia Record Dates
County Clerk has Birth Death Marriage records from 1858
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1897-98 Records are missing for both Births and Deaths.
Places / Localities
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See West Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
- Random Acts WV Cemetery Records Research Guide
For tips on accessing Clay County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Records are available:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
World War I
Online Probate Records
- 1724 - 1978 West Virginia Wills and Probate Records 1724-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1756 - 1971 West Virginia Will Books 1756-1971 at [https:/familysearch.org/ FamilySearch] — index and images
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
. Includes marriages 1858-1969 - free.
Societies and Libraries
Clay County, West Virginia Historical Society
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Clay County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Clay County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
- Clay County, West Virginia Families
- Neal's of Clay and Nicholas Counties, West Virginia
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clay County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- "Henry Clay," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Ronald R. Turner, 7th West Virginia Cavalry (Manassas, Va.: R.R. Turner, 1989). Digital version at Raleigh County West Virginia GenWeb; FHL Book 975.4 M2t.