Colby, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Aylsham|
|Parish registers: 1552|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
COLBY (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 3¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Aylsham. 
Colby St Giles is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norwich and a mediaeval church.
The name of the village derives from the translated from Old Norse as farmstead or village of a man called Koli.
Colby is a village and a civil parish in the English county of Norfolk .The village is 8.6 miles (13.8 km) south of Cromer, 16.8 miles (27.0 km) north-north-west of Norwich, 5.2 miles (8.4 km) west-north-west of North Walsham and 131 miles (211 km) north-east of London.
For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of North Norfolk.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Aylsham 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Colby, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Colby, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
Images of the parish register for this parish are available at FamilySearch Historical Records The images displayed are only partial loading of images available and further image loading by engineers is awaited.
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 398/ 1-6
Parish registers of Colby, 1552-1904 Microreproduction of original records at the Norfolk Record Office, Norwich.
Norfolk Record Office nos.: PD398/1-7, 40-41(S).
In 1552-1630 and 1668-1728, the records were kept in Latin.
General registers of baptisms, 1552-1751, and marriages and burials, 1552-1748; Baptisms and burials, 1749-1812, population statistics, marriages, 1749-1754; Baptisms, 1813-1904; Marriages, 1755-1812, banns, 1755-1822; Marriages, 1813-1837. FHL BRITISH Film 2149665 Items 8 - 13
Marriages, 1837-1901; Burials, 1813-1902; Banns, 1825-1904. FHL BRITISH Film 2149666 Items 1 - 3
Baptisms, burials and marriages 1600-1610, 1623-1630, 1665-1812 FHL BRITISH Film 1526779 Item 13
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438854.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Colby on GenUKI
- Parish Info
- Visitor Info
- [http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/colby/colby.htm Colby[ on Norfolk Churches website
- British History online
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 654-659. Date accessed: 19 September 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Colby', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.