Collier County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Collier County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Collier County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||May 8, 1923|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Marriages
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Obituaries
- 5.13 Probate
- 5.14 Taxation
- 5.15 Vital Records
- 5.16 Societies and Libraries
- 5.17 Websites
- 5.18 References
Collier County, Florida Record Dates
Collier County Courthouse
3315 Tamiami Trail East
Naples, FL 34112-5324
County Judge has marriage and probate records;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, court and land records from 1923
The county was named for Barron G. Collier, a New York City advertising mogul and real estate developer. The County Seat is Naples and the county was created May 8,1923. The County is located in the Southwest area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Albert Benjamin Addison - FLGenWeb Project,Inc.
The following web sites may have additional information on Collier County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
For tips on accessing Collier County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1885 Florida State Population Census - Includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
- Federal Census Information from National Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service - USGenWeb Archives Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Collier County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- Maps of Florida (1821-1997)
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps, University of South Florida
- Index - FLGenWeb Project,Inc.
- FamilySearch Marriage Index 1822-1875 and 1927-2001
- FamilySearch Florida Marriage Records 1830-1993
- FamilySearch Florida Marriages, 1837-1974
- Florida State Military Files - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Pension Transcriptions - Florida state pension records from various wars - USGenWeb Pension Project
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
World War I
- 1917 - 1918 - Collier County, Florida - 1917-18 Civilian Draft Registration (A-K) (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1917 - 1918 - Collier County, Florida - 1917-18 Civilian Draft Registration (L-Z) (USGenWeb Archives)
World War II
- Collier County Army Enlistees, Names Aarson - Youngman (USGenWeb Archives)
- Collier County World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel (Genealogy Trails)
- Collier County Korean War Casualty List (Genealogy Trails)
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Collier County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a Collier County, Florida Genealogy Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search). Naples Daily News
1100 Immokalee Road
Naples, FL 34110 http://www.naplesnews.com
- Florida Obituaries - Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties - USGenWeb Obituaries Project
- Addison, Albert Benjamin and Charity - FLGenWeb Project,Inc.
- Collier County obits-By Mary-
- In Memory, Fallen Officers of Collier Co. FLGenWeb Project,Inc.
- Obituary Index: 28 July 1927 - January, 2008 (Completed by volunteers from the Genealogical Society of Collier County).
Pioneer's of Collier
Speed Menefee - FLGenWeb Project,Inc.
Probate records are held by the Collier County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Collier County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 Florida Probate Records 1784-1990 at FamilySearch — images
- 1810 – 1974 Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1877 - 1939 - Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1900 - 1921 - Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1877 - 1998 - Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1923-1945 - Collier County Marriage Book 1 Index 1923-1945. Batch M736792 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
- Random Acts of Kindness List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical Genealogical Societies
- FamilySearch Find a Family History Center
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Collier County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Collier County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Collier County FLGenWeb
- Collier County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Genealogical Society of Collier County, Inc.
- Collier County Public Library Genealogy Resources Page
- Collier County, Florida, USGenWeb Archives
- Collier County, Florida Genealogy Trails
- Collier County FL Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Collier County, Florida. Page 133 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Collier County, Florida Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/fla/collier/ accessed 04/24/2017.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/54/Igiflorida.pdf.