Colombia, Valle del Cauca, Miscellaneous Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Colombia, Valle del Cauca, Miscellaneous Records, 1549-1955 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Valle del Cauca, Colombia|
|Flag of the Republic of Colombia|
|Location of Valle del Cauca, Colombia|
|Location of Colombia|
|Title in the Language:||Colombia, Valle del Cauca, Diversos Registros|
|Leonardo Tascón Historic Academy, Buga|
- 1 What is in the Collection?
- 2 What Can these Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
- 7 Citing this Collection
What is in the Collection?
This collection contains miscellaneous records that are housed at the Archivo Histórico de Buga. These records include censuses (padrones), will-related records (mortuorias and testamentarías), and voter identification cards (cédulas electorales) from 1549-1955.
Additional records will be published as they become available.
Reading These Records
To Browse this Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Colombia, Valle del Cauca, Miscellaneous Records, 1549-1955.|
What Can these Records Tell Me?
Census records generally contain the following information:
- Members of the household and their relationship to the head of household
Wills usually contain the following information:
- Name of the deceased
- Names of family members
- Place and date of death
Voter identification records usually contain the following information:
- Name of the voter
- Residence of the voter
How Do I Search the Collection?
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence, age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
Some record sets have indexes; these indexes were created at the end of the year. Copy errors could have been made in the index, so you want to find the actual record to verify the information is correct. Using the index is a helpful way to find the actual record.
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the
- Select the appropriate "Tipo de registro y años" which takes you to the images.
For Help Reading these Records
For help reading these Spanish records see the following guides:
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- Colombia Language and Languages
- Reading Spanish handwritten records
- Script tutorial for Spanish
How Do I Analyze the Results?
- Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images.
- Use the age to calculate a birth date.
- Use the names of family members and look for their records.
- Use the place of residence as a starting point and search nearby towns for further records and ancestors.
- Wills/testamentos are good for learning the death date and place, what family/friends he/she had at the time of death, his/her wealth status at the time of death; for example, if your ancestor gave parcels of owned land to descendants/relatives, then you know to look for land records.
- Censuses/censos help to also identify family relationships as well as ages and birthplaces which then help us find birth records.
For more tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line article FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Colombia, Valle del Cauca, Miscellaneous Records, 1549-1955. Click on camera icon to see images.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found Who I Was Looking For, What Now?
- If you find a record of your ancestor print a copy of the original document, if possible, or at least the information where you found it. Sometimes you may find errors in the indexed or hand-copied documents. Also, in the original, you may find more information about your ancestor.
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each person to find a birth record and parents' names.
- Use the death date or age along with the place of death to find birth records.
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate church and land records.
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For, Now What?
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Church records are also a great source for finding information about your ancestor. Colombia, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Proof of information given during a census was not required, so it may contain some errors.
- Censuses were taken by ordinary civilians who may have misspelled names, so check for variant spellings of the names, especially phonetically.
- A boundary change could have occurred and the record of your ancestor is now in a neighboring state, or your ancestor immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or immigration/emigration records Colombia Emigration and Immigration.
Below is a video (in Spanish) about emigration and immigration within and to Colombia: El Transporte en Colombia y las Migraciones
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records.
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- “Colombia, Valle del Cauca, Miscellaneous Records, 1549-1955.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Citing Academia Historia Leonardo Tascón, Buga [Leonardo Tascón Historic Academy, Buga].
The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Colombia, Valle del Cauca, Miscellaneous Records, 1549-1955.