Colsterworth, Lincolnshire Genealogy
Guide to Colsterworth, Lincolnshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St+John+the+Baptist Colsterworth Lincolnshire
|Poor Law Union||Grantham|
|Parish registers: 1571|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1561|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lincoln (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Lincolnshire Record Office|
COLSTERWORTH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, partly in the wapentake of Beltisloe, and partly in that of Winnibriggs and Threo, union of Grantham, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 8 miles (S.) from Grantham. It contains the hamlets of Twyford and Woolsthorpe. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. There is also a Methodist Church in the village.
Colsterworth includes other places Twyford and Woolsthorpe in the Ancient Parish; the church is that of St John the Baptist, the origins of which go back to Saxon times, as indicated by the herring-bone stonework in the chancel. The fine Norman arches were preserved during the Victorian period of renovation, of which this church is an outstanding example. The surrounding churchyard has been closed for almost a century but is kept in good order by the Parish Council. Inside the church, tucked away behind the organ and difficult to photograph, is a stone sundial plate cut with a penknife at the age of nine by Sir Isaac Newton, born in Woolsthorpe-by-Colsterworth. The stone, which has no gnomon, is mounted (upside down) below a carved wooden effigy of the scientist. Sir Isaac Newton's mother, Hannah Ayscough, and father, also called Isaac, are both buried in the church.
RAF North Witham
The airfield is located in Twyford Wood within the ecclesiastcal parish of Colsterworth.
Opened in 1943, it was used by both the Royal Air Force and United States Army Air Force. During the war it was used primarily as a transport airfield. After the war it was closed in late 1945.
Today the remains of the airfield are located on private property being used as agricultural fields and as an industrial estate.
North Witham was known as USAAF Station AAF-479 for security reasons by the USAAF during the war, and by which it was referred to instead of location. It's USAAF Station Code was "NW".
The first American personnel arrived on 31 December 1943, having been accommodated at the nearby RAF Cottesmore. Domestic accommodations had Nissen huts for 2,324 persons but in addition to this several hundred Gls had to be accommodated in tents.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Material deposited at Lincolnshire Archives, St Rumbold Street,Lincoln,Lincolnshire,LN2 5AB,England Enquiries: email@example.com The website enables you to view a PDF file for all records held for each parish as part of continuing efforts to provide an online catalogue
The digitisation of parish records for the county now offers images via the Lincs to the past website (July 2011). Use advanced search terms at Search Lincs to the past to search for available images for parish registers and other records for this parish with images. Advance search terms Colsterworth Par 1 will identify available images.
Search FamilySearch CatalogueColsterworth
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438756.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lincolnshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 663-668. Date accessed: 14 August 2013.