Coltishall, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Aylsham|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
COLTISHALL (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 7 miles (N. N. E.) from Norwich. 
Coltishall St John the Baptist is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norwich.
The mediaeval thatched roof church of St John the Baptist reflects the earlier wealth of a small town and despite the closure of RAF Coltishall the large village today still has the life of a settlement with a thriving community. The lat mediaeval addition of a tower does not conceal the much earlier church.
Coltishall is a village and civil parish on the River Bure, west of Wroxham, which for local government purposes is part of the district of Broadland.
Coltishall was a place of note even when the Domesday Book was compiled. For 250 years it was a centre of the malting industry. Many Norfolk wherries (trading ships) were built here.
Between 1779 and 1912, it was possible to navigate the River Bure all the way to Aylsham, but now the limit of navigation for powered craft is just south of Coltishall. The nearby RAF Coltishall played an important role during World War II, and afterwards, but was finally closed in December 2006. The site is now home to HMPrison Bure.
Horstead watermill on the Coltishall-Horstead river border was one of the most photographed mills in the county until it burned down in 1963.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Coltishall, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|COLTISHALL PARISH (1558) Online Records|
||1602-1901; 1754-1901 (Banns)||
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 598
Parish registers of Coltishall, 1558-1902 Microreproduction of original records at the Norfolk Record Office, Norwich.
Norfolk Record Office nos.: PD598/1-5, 7-10, 14-17.
General registers of marriages and baptisms, 1558-1812, and burials, 1558-1725. FHL BRITISH Film 2149814 Items 18 - 19
General register burials (contd.), 1725-1812; Baptisms, 1813-1901; Marriages and banns, 1754-1812 (includes one set of banns for 1818 in the pages for 1759); Marriages, 1813-1901; Burials, 1813-1902; Banns, 1823-1901. Note that the baptism and burials for 1813-1814 contain an unusual amount of detail. FHL BRITISH Film 2149815 Items 1 - 12
Microfilm copies of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library, Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Early entries in latin.
Baptisms and burials 1600-1610-1623-1633, 1666-1721, 1764-1812 Marriages 1602-1610, 1628-1630, 1684-1721, 1764-1812 FHL BRITISH Film 1526780 Item 1
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438854.
Poor Law Unions
Parish poor law records, 1818-1827 Norfolk Record Office no.: PD 598/43
Overseers' account book, including rates & assessments, 1818-1827 FHL BRITISH Film 1702279 Item 2
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Coltishall on GenUKI
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Saumel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 663-668. Date accessed: 19 September 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 7 October 2013.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Coltishall', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.