Columbia Tennessee Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
Location Map: Location Map
Address: 1608 Hampshire Pike Columbia TN 38401-5676
- The entrance is on the North side at the rear of building on the lower level. Wheelchair accessible with convenient parking close to FHC entrance.
- Tuesday: 9:00am-12:00pm
- Thursday: 5:00pm-8:00pm
- Saturday: 9:00am-12:00pm
- To make an appointment for other times, please call in advance at (931-381-3764.)
- Call ahead if traveling from a distance or if you plan on arriving in the last hour.
Closed 1st weekend in Apr/Oct for General Conference. Closed Christmas and New Years Day weeks. If Maury County Schools are closed for a snow day, we will be closed too.
Calendar and Events
- Tuesdays 1:00pm - 2:00 pm Basic Computer Class
- Tuesdays 2:00pm - 3:00 pm Genealogy Class
- Maury County Senior Center, 1020 Maury County Park Drive
- Class taught by FHC staff.
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- Indefinite Film Collection: -- Extended Loan Microfilms available
- Patrons' Microfiche Collection: -- Permanent Collection of Microfiche
- Book Collection: --
Hickman County Tennessee Cemetery Records
Premium Websites Available
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Free Web Sites
Software Available on FHC PC's
- Roots Magic, Legacy, Ancestor Quest, PAF, - Computer based genealogy programs
- Genelines™ — Genelines Universal Edition is a time line charting companion for use with almost any genealogy program. Genelines brings together elements of time, history, and family relationships on visual time line charts. The charts are created from two sources--your genealogy database and an extensive library of history files.
- Personal Historian - Personal Historian is software which assists you in writing personal histories about yourself and other individuals. It breaks your personal history into small, manageable pieces and then reconstructs it into a complete, publishable document.
- Genelines™ timeline software you can create seven customizable timeline charts that display your family history records in a refreshingly different way.
- Map My Family Tree™ not only creates striking family maps, but also helps you with your family history search. By creating an ancestor life map, you can see where you have misspellings and incomplete, ambiguous, or missing place names in your genealogy database.
- ArkivDigital has approximately 49 million color images of Swedish church records and other historical documents. Whether you are a beginner or more experienced you can with the help of our program ArkivDigital online easily genealogical research via Internet. Your story is just a few clicks away.
Hardware and Equipment
- 2 Microfilm viewers, 2 Fiche Viewers, 8 Computers and 1 Computer Printer - Networked B/W Laser/ scanner
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
Genealogical Society of Maury County
Monthly Meeting held in Maury County Senior Center
6:00pm on the 2nd Thursday every month except July.
- Maury County Clerk
- Marriage records
10 Public Square
Columbia, TN 38401
- Maury County Clerk
Volunteer at the Center
Anyone with interest in learning about genealogical research is welcome to volunteer. Computer skills are not required as long as you are willing to learn the basic skills.