Colusa County, California Genealogy
Guide to Colusa County, California ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Colusa County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||February 18, 1850|
|Address|| Colusa County Courthouse|
546 Jay St;
Colusa, CA 95932-2443;
Colusa County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Birth
- 5.27 Marriage
- 5.28 Divorce
- 5.29 Death
- 5.30 Voting Registers
- 6 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Colusa County, California Record Dates
Colusa County has birth records 1873, marriage records from 1853, death records from 1889, probate, court, land and assessment rolls from 1851, Great Registers from 1866 and military rolls from 1879
18 February 1850: Colusa County was created as an original county. County seat: Colusa 
The county was named for of an Indian tribe living on the west side of the Sacramento River. The county seat Colusa and the county was created 1850. The County is located in the north central corner of the state.
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
College City, Colusa (County Seat)
Sites, Stonyford, Sycamore
Williams, Wilbur Springs
- Index to Colusa County Biographies (CAGenWeb Project)
- Index to Colusa County Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Colusa County Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
The following web site may have additional information on Colusa County cemeteries.
- Interment.net California cemetery records by County.
For tips on accessing Colusa County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Colusa County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Colusa County, CA - Index to Federal Land Records USGenWeb Archives)
Military History and Records
- Colusa County, Gen, John F. Miller Post No. 110, G. A. R. 1886, Civil War - Rosters (USGenWeb Archives)
- Colusa County, Williamsburg Post No. 116, G. A. R. 1886, Civilwar - Rosters (USGenWeb Archives)
World War II
- Index of World War II Army Enlistment Records for Colusa County, California (Genealogy Trails)
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Colusa County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Index to Colusa County Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Colusa County Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Colusa - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 – 1999 California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1833 – 1991 California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Colusa County Library
738 Market Stret
Colusa, CA 95932
Colusa County Historical Society
Colusa County Historical Records Commission
c/o Colusa County Library
738 Market Street
Colusa, CA 95932
Phone: (530) 458-7671
The county commission oversees preservation and conservation of county records of historical importance and the county records archives.
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
- 1812 - 1988 - California Births and Christenings, 1812-1988 at FamilySearch — index
- 1870 - 1884 - Colusa County Birth Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- 1905 - 1995 - California Birth Index, 1905-1995 at FamilySearch — index
- 1905 - 1906 - Colusa County Birth Index (Genealogy Trails)
- Colusa County Birth Announcements (CAGenWeb Project)
- 1850 - 1945 - California Marriages, 1850-1945 at FamilySearch — index
- 1850 - 1952 - California, County Marriages, 1850-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1854 - 1885 - Western States Marriage Index.
- 1960 - 1985 - California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Colusa County Marriage Notices (CAGenWeb Project)
- 1905 - 1939 - California Death Index, 1905-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1940 - 1997 - California Death Index, 1940-1997 at FamilySearch — index
- Colusa County Death Notices (CAGenWeb Project)
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Colusa County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 973
Colusa County Historical Society
P.O. Box 643
- Colusa County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Colusa County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Colusa County, California Genealogy Trails
- Colusa County CA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 62-75. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Colusa County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colusa_County,_California 04/28/2017.