Colwich, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Colwich, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Stafford|
|Parish registers: 1590|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1659|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of Colwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
COLWICH (St. Michael), a parish, in the S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, union, and N. division of the county, of Stafford, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Rugeley; containing, with Fradswell chapelry, the townships of Bishton, Moreton, Shugborough, and Wolseley,and part of those of Drointon, Great and Little Haywood, and Hixon. 
Colwich St Michael and All Angels is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire. Other places in the parish include: Bromley, Pershall, Three Farms, Sugnall Parva, Sugnall Magna, Slindon, Podmore, Wootton, Aspley, Charnes, Chatcull, Chorlton with Stableford, Cold Meece, Coldmeece, Croxton, Great Sugnall, Hill Chorlton, Horseley, Horseley with Garmelo, Cotmere and Offley Hay, Little Sugnall, Mill Meece, Millmeece, and Walton.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Colwich St Michael and All Angels parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|COLWICH PARISH (1590) Online Records|
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Colwich, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474623.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 668-672. Date accessed: 30 October 2012.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 17 September 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8