County Cavan, Ireland Genealogy
|Ireland Wiki Topics|
|Ireland Record Types|
|Ireland Local Research Resources|
Guide to County Cavan ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
County Cavan (Irish: Contae an Chabháin) is a county in Ireland. It is part of the province of Ulster. The county town is Cavan.
Archives and Libraries
County Cavan Genealogy Research Centre
TEL: (049) 4361094 FAX: (049) 4331494
Cavan County Library
Ireland E-mail: email@example.com or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Includes Barron, Famham Estate, and other related papers. Also includes Griffith Valuation maps, legal papers, including rentals and wills for Cavan 18th and the 19th century. Also includes photography collections.
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI)
66 Balmoral Avenue
Belfast BT9 6NY
The above is the official repository for the public records of Northern Ireland. PRONI also collects records from private sources.
Census for the 1841 parish of Killeshandra, survives and is available to search at:
- online at Ancestry - access from home or from a library or family history centre.
- in books or films, as described at FamilySearch.org
Indexes to Church of Ireland Marriage License Bonds for the Diocese of Kilmore and Ardagh
- 1845-1913 - Ireland Civil Registration, 1845-1913 at FamilySearch — index
- 1845-1958 - Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958 at FamilySearch — index and images
Civil Jurisdictions and Parish Research Information
Land and Property
1885 County Map: Courtesy of London Ancestor
Abstracts of Some Ardagh, Clogher and Kilmore Diocesan Wills. Alphabetical list of Wills proved from the above Diocese covering years 1739-1810. Article in The Irish Ancestor , vol.VI.no.2.1974, pages 112-121, Family History Ref. 941.5 B2i v5-6.
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources or support its efforts.
- Cavan Resources and Help pages RootsChat Cavan Resources and Help pages. (Free).
- Home wavecable colin/genuki/CAV/ Genuki
- Genealogy-of-uk Ireland/Cavan/genealogy
- cavan rootsireland
- Genealogy links UK/ireland/cavan
- from-ireland county/cavan
- Irishpenpals county-cavan-genealogy
- interment ireland/cavan