Court of the Archdeaconry of the Sub-Dean of Salisbury
Return to the Wiltshire Probate Records page.
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Archive Records" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Wiltshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
- The Wiltshire County Record Office's online Will Index 1540-1858
- Genuki provides a gateway to 1000 abstract Wills
Printed and Published Indexes
Wiltshire and Swindon Archives
Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre
Wiltshire SN15 3QN
Tel: 44 (0)1249 705500
Fax: 44 (0)1249 705527
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Register Copty Wills, Etc. 1581-1588
Original Wills & Administrations & Inventories 1584; 1611-1857
Family History Library Records
This court held jurisdiction over the City of Salisbury parishes of St Edmund, St Martin and Thomas, and also included Milford and Strateford-sub-Castle.
The courts of the Archdeacons of Salisbury and of Wiltshire and also the Court of the Archdeacon of the sub-dean of Salisbury Cathedral were inhibited triennially by the Court of the Bishop of Salisbury.