Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Dean & Chapter of Wells
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court. Also see "Probate Records of This Court in The Family History Library".
3. Contact or visit the Somersetshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Printed and Published Indexes
Also try the following indexes at the Family History Library:
The records of the Consistory Court of the Dean and Chapter of Wells, which were all deposited at the Probate Registry at Exeter, were destroyed by enemy action during World War II. The following is information on the very few records that survive.
The surviving original records are deposited at:
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
- Probate and administration act books, 1662-1665
Family History Library Records
The Family History Library has very few original probate records for Somerset on microfilm and none for this court.
However, try searching the following collections which are a copy or abstract of the original registers for many areas throughout the county:
See the information found in the article on the Court of the Bishop of Bath & Wells (Episcopal Consistory).
The Society of Genealogists in London has copies of published abstracts of wills and other probate documents for Somerset. To see a list of titles, search their library catalogue for the Subject of "Somerset - General: Wills."
This court held jurisdiction over the following parishes and places:
- Liberty of St Andrew in Wells
- North Curry
- Stoke St Gregory
- West Hatch
- Long Sutton
- Bishop's Lydeard
- Combe St Nicholas
- South Barrow