Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
A general explanation of probate records in England, is given in the article England Probate Records.
Step by Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Herefordshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
The Northampton and Rutland probate index on findmypast.co.uk includes the Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory Court 1452-1857.
Printed and Published Indexes
The Family History Library has:
- Indexes found with the probate records for 1541-1858 listed above.
- Index to registered wills, 1541-1646.
- Calendar of wills, administrations, etc., 1752-1857/8.
- Oundle Wills and Headstones 1820-1858 Complete transcript of records British 942.55/O1 P2p Family History Library Salt Lake City
Northamptonshire Records Office
Wootton Hall Park
Northampton, NN4 8BQ
Tel: (0)1604 762129
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Family History Library Records
The Diocese of Peterborough was founded in 1541. From 1541 to about 1598, where there appears to have been a re-organization of the diocese, wills from all deaneries were proved either at Northampton in the archdeacon's court or in the consistory court of Peterborough. After 1598 the wills from the four Eastern deaneries of Oundle, Weldon, Peterborough and Rutland were proven at Peterborough.
- Camp, Anthony J. Wills and Their Whereabouts. Published 1974.