Court of the Bishop of St Asaph (Episcopal Consistory)
Wales Caernarfonshire Caernarfonshire Probate Records
Wales Denbighshire Denbighshire Probate Records
Wales Flintshire Flintshire Probate Records
Wales Merionethshire Merionethshire Probate Records
Wales Montgomeryshire Montgomeryshire Probate Records
England Shropshire Shropshire Probate Records
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Records" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court. Also see "Probate Records of This Court in The Family History Library".
3. Contact or visit The Library of Wales or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Printed and Published Indexes
- Index to Wills & Administrations (Admins) 1583-1857
- Abstracts & Indexes of Original Wills 1557-1833
- Index to Act Books 1584-1858
- St. Asaph probate index, 1660-1858
Indexes also precede each volume of the following microfilmed records:
The surviving original records are deposited at:
The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Wales, SY23 3BU
Telephone: +44 (0)1970 632 800
Fax: +44 (0)1970 615 709
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
- Act Books 1684-1858
- Register Copy Will 1565-1709
- Original Wills, Administrations & Inventories 1583-1858 (many missing early years)
- Act Books 1817-1850
- Acts of Court 1715-1716
Family History Library Records
- Copy Wills 1565-1709
- Act Books 1584-1858
- Original Wills 1582-1858
- Unproved Wills 1700-1800
- Copies of Wills 1565-1699
The Consistory Court of St Asaph held probate jurisdiction over the Welsh counties of:
- the Merionethshire parishes of Betws Gwerful Goch; Corwen; Gwyddelwern; Llandrillo; Llandderfel; Llanfor; Llangar; Llangywer; Llansanffraid Glyndyfrdwy; Llanuwchllyn; Llanycil; Llanymawddwy and Mallwyd
- the Caernarfonshire parishes of Eglwysrhos; Llangystennin and Llysfaen.
This court also held jurisdiction over parts of England: