Court of the Peculiar of Good Easter
Return to the Essex Probate Records page.
Probate is the legal court process by which the estate of a deceased person is distributed to his or her heirs. The term probate refers to a collection of documents, including wills, administrations (also called admons), inventories, and act books. The Church of England ecclesiastical courts had authority for this process until to 1858.
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Essex County Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Or, you can visit The Family History Library or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any family history center near you.
The Court of the Peculiar of Good Easter probate records arewell-covered with the following indexes:
A general will index for Essex County is available online. This single index consolidates Essex county wills of the various probate court jurisdictions, including the various smaller Peculiar Court jurisdictions into one database.
- 1505-1916 - Essex Wills Beneficiaries Index, 1505-1916, online at findmypast. Includes Bishop of London's Commissary Court (Essex & Hertfordshire), Archdeaconry Court of Colchester, Archdeaconry Court of Essex, Archdeaconry Court of Middlesex (Essex & Hertfordshire), Peculiar Court of Deanery of Bocking, Peculiar Court of Good Easter, Peculiar Court of the Sokens, Peculiar Court of Writtle with Roxwell.
Printed and Published Indexes
If the indexes on the Internet do not produce possible wills for your ancestors, look in the published indexes listed here.
The Essex County Record Office compiled and published a complete surname index covering wills and administrations from eight Essex County probate courts including this court. The index is available in three volumes at the FamilySearch Catalog
- Emmison, F. G., ed. [Index to] Wills at Chelmsford. London: s.n., 1961, by the British Record Society.
Available handwritten indexes:
Other handwritten indexes are listed below in the "Indexes" section. Click on the court name links on the "Essex County Probate Records" home page.
The Peculiar Court of Good Easter probate records are indexed, as well as the Prerogative Court of Canterbury during the Civil War period (1649-1660) for the following years:
Microfilmed indexes available at the Family History Library:
Calendar or Registered and Un-registered Wills and Admons of Good Easter 1631-1847
Index of Wills and Admons of Good Easter 1613-1847.
Original (Unregistered) Wills and Registered Wills as well as extant indexes for this court are available on microfilm at the Family History Library and may be circulated to any one of its satellite Family History Centers (see Court of the Peculiar of Good Easter), or go to FamilySearch Catalog entry for this court. To view the catalog entry for this court in the Family History Library, please see the Family History Library Catalog.
- Emmison, F. G., ed. [Index to] Wills at Chelmsford. London: s.n., 1961, by the British Record Society. *Emmison, F. G., ed. [Index to] Wills at Chelmsford. London: s.n., 1961, by the British Record Society. (see FHL book 942 B4b vols. 78, 79 & 84; also on microfilms 0962739 and 0962740, and on microfiche 6073796, 6073797, and 6073802.)
Visit the Essex County Archives to determine availability in their complete collection of records for this court jurisdiction.
Essex Record Office
Archives & Museums
Chelmsford CM12 6YT
Telephone (01245) 244644
Website: Essex County Record Office
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
- Original Wills & Administrations 1618-1847
- Inventories 1631-1645, 1676-1719, 1746, 1795
Family History Library Records
Probate records of this very small Peculiar Court pertain strictly to Good Easter Parish which was granted sanction to probate wills within this jurisdiction. They reside at the County Essex Record Office at Chelmsford today.
These records date from 1631 to 1847.