Court of the Peculiar of the Prebendal of Caistor
Step by Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Herefordshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Printed and Published Indexes
The Family History Library has Index to records of Lincoln Peculiar Courts, 1610-1827, on film 199985. The film covers the peculiars of Caistor, Louth, Heydour, Corringham, Bishop Norton, Kirton in Lindsey, Gretton, Empingham, Biggleswade and Sleaford or Lafford. The courts on the film include courts whose jurisdictions cover Northamptonshire, Rutlandshire and Bedfordshire in addition to Lincolnshire. The years for Caistor are 1636-1833, pages 1-12.
The original records are in the collection of the Lincolnshire Archives Office.
Family History Library Records
The Family History Library has the following records. Films can be view in the library or in a family history center.
- Wills and administrations, 1636-1833, on film 200098. "B" through "W" followed by "A" through "W". Some are written in old English. Indent slips have name, date and residence. Most wills have inventories.
- Wills and administrations, 1633-1833, on film 200099. Continues wth "W". "B" through "W" and "A" through "W". Pages are in fairly good condition.
Caistor, including the hamlets of Audleby, Clixby, Fonaby, Hundon and Holton le Moor.