Cox's Battalion, Tennessee Cavalry
"Organized Octoberr 1862 as a battalion of Partisan Rangers; mustered into Confederate service December, 1862; consolidated with Napier's Battalion February 25, 1863 to form the 10th Tennessee Cavlary Regiment." 
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Captain W.H. Bass - Men from Perry and Humphreys Counties.
- Company B - Captain W.H. Lewis
- Company C - Captain Elisha S. Stevens - Men from Decatur and Hickman Counties.
- Company D - Captain B.G. Rickman
- Company E - Captain I.B. Herron - Men from Humphreys and Perry Counties. 
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, Cox's Tennessee Cavalry Battalion, (accessed 31 Dec 2011).
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, 10th Tennessee Cavalry Regiment, (accessed 25 Apr 2012). "Organized February 25, 1863 by consolidation of Cox's and Napier's Battalions."
- fold3$, Cox's Battalion and Douglass' Battalion and Partisan Rangers and Greer's Regiment Partisan Rangers and Holman's Battalion, Partisan Rangers, (accessed 25 Apr 2012). Unit information and rosters.