Cradley, Herefordshire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
(Redirected from Cradley, Herefordshire)
Jump to: navigation, search
Herefordshire Parishes

Guide to Cradley, Herefordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

Cradley, Herefordshire
Cradley St+James+the+Great Herefordshire.JPG
Cradley St+James+the+Great Herefordshire
Type Ancient Parish
Civil Jurisdictions
Hundred Radlow
County Herefordshire
Poor Law Union Bromyard
Registration District Bromyard
Records begin
Parish registers: 1560
Bishop's Transcripts: 1660
Ecclesiastical Jurisdictions
Rural Deanery Frome
Diocese Hereford
Province Canterbury
Legal Jurisdictions
Probate Court Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Location of Archive
Herefordshire Record Office

Parish History

CRADLEY (St. James), is a parish, in the union of Bromyard, hundred of Radlow, county of Hereford, 3½ miles (W. by N.) from Malvern. [1]

Cradley is the largest village and also a civil parish in Herefordshire; East and West Cradley are within the civil parish. Cradley Herefordshire Wikipedia

Cradley St James the Great is an Ancient Parish and is the largest parish in Herefordshire; it includes Storridge. Cradley Storridge St John the Evangelist was formed as a chapelry from this parish.

The church dates from the late 12th century and was substantially rebuilt in 1868-1869 and has been designated a grade B listed building by English Heritage British listed building

See also Cradley

Cradley Storridge St John the Evangelist dates from 1856 and was built by Frederick Preedy of Worcester and has been designated a grade C listed building by English Heritage British listed building

The National Gazetteer 1868+ transcription by Colin Hinson


Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records.

Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collectionCradley

Census records

Census returns for East and West Cradley 1841-1891

FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through the FHC Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.

Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK

Introduction to LDS Family History Centers to locate outside UK.

Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.

Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)

The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.

Ancestry UK Census Collection

Find my Past census search 1841-1901

Poor Law Unions

Bromyard Poor Law Union,Herefordshire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Herefordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.


Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.


  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 713-717. Accessed and adapted 23 July, 2013.