Crai, Breconshire Genealogy
CRAY (CRAI), a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Devynock, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales, 9½ miles (W.) from Brecknock. It is situated at the junction of the small river Cray with the Usk, which latter is here crossed by a bridge. The chapel, dedicated to St. Ilid, and sometimes called the chapel of Llan-Ilid, stands in the vale, on the eastern declivity of an eminence, and close to the left bank of the Cray rivulet. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists.
Crai/Cray - an ancient chapelry in Defynnog parish, possibly without own PR before 1813.
There is a reference to "Llanilid/Llanulid parish church" in the context of Crai (see also the National Gazetteer entry). Consent was given to rebuild the 'ruinated chapel called Llanthew chapel otherwise Cray chapel in 1752' (NLW) For more information see Defynnog, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464300.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 262-273. Adapted. Date accessed: 23 January 2014.