Craig County, Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Craig County, Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, immigration records, and military records.
|Craig County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
|County Seat||New Castle|
- 1 Craig County Virginia Courthouse
- 2 Craig County Virginia History
- 3 Craig County Virginia Genealogy Places/Localities
- 4 Craig County Virginia Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 Research Guides
- 4.2 African Americans
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Bible Records
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church Records
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Genealogy
- 4.9 Land and Property
- 4.10 Local Histories
- 4.11 Maps
- 4.12 Military
- 4.13 Miscellaneous Records
- 4.14 Naturalization
- 4.15 Newspapers
- 4.16 Probate Records
- 4.17 Taxation
- 4.18 Vital Records
- 5 Craig County Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Craig County Virginia Genealogy Websites
- 7 Craig County Virginia Genealogy References
Craig County Virginia Courthouse
Craig County Courthouse
P.O. Box 185
303 Main Street
New Castle, VA 24127-0185
Clerk Circuit Court has birth records 1864-1896,
marriage, divorce, probate and court and land records from 1851
Craig County Virginia History
For animated maps illustrating Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
After the record loss, deeds were re-recorded in Deed Books B and C. Bound volumes of court orders and wills still exist.
- Lost census: 1890
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
Craig County Virginia Genealogy Places/Localities
Craig County Virginia Genealogy Resources
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Craig County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 8, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1964):26-27. FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
- Freedmen's Bureau Letters or Correspondence, 1865-1872
For a detailed list, including addresses, phone numbers, and external links, see Craig County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Craig County:
- Tombstone Transcription Project Craig County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
- Virginia Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007 - browse collection at FamilySearch; free.
Additional Bible records include:
For tips on accessing Craig County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
- Burton, Charles T. Botetourt County, Va., 1785 Enumeration. Troutville, Va.: Burton?, 1972. Available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($). [All of part of present-day county of Craig is included.]
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
Land and Property
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Craig County, p. 68.61]
Regiments. Service men in Craig County, Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Craig County, Virginia Genealogy:
- - 28th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company B (Craig Rifles) and Company D (Craig Mountain Boys).
- - 54th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company K (The Roanoke Guards).
Records and histories are available, including:
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War, Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War, Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- Virginia Naturalization Petitions, 1906-1929.
The Virginia Newspapers Project identifies local Craig County, Virginia Genealogy newspapers.
Indexes to Craig County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
- 1853-1896 - Fridley, Beth. Craig County, Virginia Births, 1853-96 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 1999. Available at Ancestry ($).
- 1864-1896 - Craig County Birth Index 1864-1896. Batch C868743 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1740-1850 - Virginia Marriages 1740-1850 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1865-1937 - Craig County Marriage Index 1865-1937. Batch M868743 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1853-1896 - Fridley, Beth, comp. Craig County, Virginia Deaths, 1853-96 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2001. Available at Ancestry ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
|For birth, marriage, and death record substitutes, see Bible Records, Cemeteries, Church Records, Newspapers, and Probate Records.|
Craig County Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Craig County Virginia Genealogy Websites
- Craig Co., VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. Maps, name indexes, history.
- Craig County, VA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Cyndi's List
Craig County Virginia Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Craig County, Virginia. Page 712 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Lost Records Localities: Counties and Cities with Missing Records, 4-5, in Library of Virginia (accessed 4 April 2014).
- USGS Map, Topozone.com
- Frank E. Fields, 28th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1985). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 15.
- George L. Sherwood and Jeffrey C. Weaver, 54th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1993). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 91.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/3/37/Igivirginia.pdf.