Crawley, Hampshire Genealogy
Guide to Crawley, Hampshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Winchester|
|Parish registers: 1649|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1724|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of Crawley with Hunton; Post-1844 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Record Office|
CRAWLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Winchester, hundred of Buddlesgate, Winchester and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4 miles (E.) from Stockbridge..
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary overview of the history of this parish.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Crawley parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|GENUKI = GENUKI - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|CRAWLEY PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288803.
Neyt, E. James Kersley, M.S.M. The Temperant Colour Sergeant. A picture of the Kersley Family with names in Pontefract Yorkshire, 1898, originally living in the early 1700's in Crawley, Hampshire. Also a description of the family to be found in The Hampshire Family Historian, vol. XII, no.2, August 1985, pages 97-99, Family History Library Ref. 942.27
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 717-720. Date accessed: 18 June 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Over 1.4 million new Hampshire parish records published', Find My Past, accessed 3 October 2013.
- 'Hampshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 23 September 2013.
- Phillimore Hampshire Parish Marriage Registers, Vol. 11 (1900). Digital version at GENUKI - free.
- 'Hampshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 13 September 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 30 September 2013.