Crickadarn, Breconshire Genealogy
CRICKADARN, or CERRIG-CADARN (CRÛG CADARN), a parish, in the union of Builth, hundred of Talgarth, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 11½ miles (W. by N.) from Hay; comprising the North and South divisions. The name of this parish signifies "a strong mount," and may have been derived from the situation of its church on the summit of a high bank, overlooking the small river Clettwr, which flows into the Wye at Errwd, on the road to Builth. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small edifice, with a massive tower; it contains the ancient rood-loft, which is of oak, ornamented with carvings in cinquefoil, and supported on pillars. There are places of worship for Independents and Baptists; a Church school, established in 1841, and three Sunday schools.
Also spelled Crucadarn. Crickadarn Church is in the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon, in the community of Erwood in the county of Powys. The church of St Mary and its small surrounding settlement lies in the hills to the west of the Wye Valley some 10km south of Builth Wells. It is a small well-maintained church, the earliest features of which may be 13thC, with 15th and 16thC additions, and several later phases of restoration. For more information see Crucadarn, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464301.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 262-273. Adapted. Date accessed: 23 January 2014.