Czech Republic Genealogy
Europe Czech Republic
|Czech Republic Topics|
|Czech Republic Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Czech Republic ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
The Czech Republic is a country in Central Europe bordering Poland, Germany, Austria, and Slovakia. It includes the three historical territories of Bohemia, Moravia, and Czech Silesia. From 1918 to 1993, it was the Western part of Czechoslovakia. The official language is Czech.
Getting Started with Czech Republic Research
Links to articles on getting started with Czech Republic research.
Czech Republic Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Czech Republic research.
Czech Republic Maps
Czech Republic records are kept on the archive level and not on the county or municipality level.
First use GenTeam Free Gazetteer to find out which archive holds the records that you need. GenTeam Instructions. If you do not know the name of the village or parish your ancestors lived in, see Tracing Immigrant Origins, Czech Republic Determining a Place of Origin and Czech Republic Emigration and Immigration. Click on the archival region covering the location of your parish, either on the map or from the list.
- Brno Moravian Land Archives
- Litoměřice Regional Archives
- Opava (Olomouc) Land Archives
- Plzeň Regional Archives
- Prague (Praha) City Archives
- Prague (Praha) Regional Archives
- Třeboň Regional Archives
- Zámrsk Regional Archives
More Czech Republic Research Strategies
Research strategies give guidance on how to research or what records to search for first. Below are additional research strategy Wiki articles for the Czech Republic.
- "How to" Guides
- Getting started
- What's the next step?
- Finding your ancestor in the records
- Tips for beginners
- Introduction Using Online Czech Records - Most of the Czech Republic records are now available online. Using Online Czech Records series will teach you how to use the Czech digitized records.
- Determining Place of Origin
- If You Are Czech Citizen...
- Beginning Czech Republic Research
- Records Overview
More Czech Republic Research Tools
Research tools can include resources that assist in locating correct records to search and determining the correct locality to search in. Below are links and Wiki articles to research tools in the Czech Republic.
- Reference Aids Overview at the Family History Library
- GenTeam Free Gazetteer Find out which archive holds the records that you need
- Prague Conscriptions (1850-1914)
- Jewish Registers
- American Friends of the Czech Republic website gives a brief how to and where to find your Czech Ancestors with links to sites.
- Czech Family Tree
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in resourcing your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- FamilySearch Historical Record Collections
- Family History Center locator map
- Wikipedia contributors, "Czech Republic," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_Republic, accessed 23 March 2016.