Dane County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Dane County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Dane County, Wisconsin|
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||December 7, 1836|
|Address|| Dane County Courthouse|
210 Martin Luther King Blvd
Madison, WI 53709
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Dane County, Wisconsin Record Dates
Dane County Courthouse
210 Martin Luther King Blvd
Madison, WI 53709
Clerk of Courts
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
- Dane County Briographies USGenWeb Archives
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Wisconsin Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
Church History and Records
- Records of Black Earth Lutheran Church in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, De Forest, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
First Lutheran Church, Stoughton
- Records of the First Lutheran Church, Stoughton, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Immanuel Lutheran Church, Mt. Horeb
- Records of Immanuel Lutheran Church, Mt. Horeb, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Madison Norwegian Lutheran Church
- Records of Madison Norwegian Lutheran Church in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of Roxbury Lutheran Church in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. Luke's Lutheran Church, Middleton
- Records of St. Luke's Lutheran Church, Middleton, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Zion Lutheran Church, Madison
- Records of Zion Lutheran Church, Madison, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Wisconsin
- Family Maps of Dane County, Wisconsin (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from Dane County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Dane County.
- - 1st Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company G
- - 2nd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company F
- - 3rd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Companies A, B, D, F, H, L and M
- - 5th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry Reorganized, Company G (Men were listed in the Roster as being from the city of Albion, which could have been from the counties of Dane, Trempealeau or Jackson.)
- - 7th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Companies A and D
- - 8th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Companies E, H and K
- - 9th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company F
- - 11th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Companies A, B, D, F, and G
- - 12th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company C
- - 15th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Companies B, E and H
Naturalization and Citizenship
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- Waunakee Tribune (1896-2006) - available electronically online from the Waunakee Public Library; papers hosted by NewspaperArchive.com.
- Madison, Wisconsin Newspapers
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Dane County's Administrative offices are located in the joint City-County Building at 210 South Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., directly south of the State Capitol.
This building houses the Register of Deeds office for the county. It is in this office that both deeds and vital records are filed.
Nearest public parking is approximately 2 blocks east in the city garage.
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Dane County Area Genealogical Society
PO Box 5652
Madison, WI 53705-0652
Dane County Historical Society
Lussier Family Heritage Center
3101 Lake Farm Road
Madison, WI 53711
Cottage Grove Area Historical Society
Post Office Box 46
116 W. Reynolds St.
Cottage Grove, WI 53527
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Dane County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Dane County Genealogy (Wisconsin Genealogy)
- Dane County WIGenWeb Project
- Dane County USGenWeb Archives
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 756 Dane County, Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).