DeSaussure's Squadron, South Carolina Cavalry
DeSaussure's Squadron, South Carolina Cavalry was an Independent cavalry organization. It was created in December 1860 with two companies to aid the South Carolina Regular Army. In May 1861 it was mustered in to Confederate service. In June/July it was redesignated as the 15th Battalion, South Carolina Artillery.
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit  .
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A
- Company B
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book, Units of the Confederate States Army as their main source for the regiment history.FHL book 973 M2crua, WorldCat.
- Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of South Carolina. Microfilm publication M267. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Services, 1958. These records have been indexed and digitized and are available at Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- Hewett, Janet B., ed. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. Wilmington, North Carolina: Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001. FHL book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 64 and 65. Lists officers, companies, some nicknames for the companies and dates involving the company and places where they were stationed. Locate this book at other libraries. Vol 64 p 168-169 Lists Officers of Company A and B. No record of events is listed. A list of commissioned officers of this squadron is shown on list and filed with the First South Carolina Infantry enlisted men or regular, afterwards with Third South Carolina Artillery. Stationed at Charleston, SC April 17, 1861.
- Seigler, Robert S. South Carolina's Military Organizations During the War Between the States. Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, c2008. FHL book 975.7 M2sr v. 4. This book has an overview about the creation of the military units for service during the Civil War. There are four volumes which are divided into areas of the State. There is information about the different military units including dates of organization and service, company officers, battle engagements, company names and places of origin, and a few pictures. This book is also available through other libraries.
- Robert S. Seigler. South Carolina's Military Organizations During the War Between the States. (Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, c2008.), v. 4, p 131-133. FHL book 975.7 M2sr v. 4. The book goes into greater detail about the companies and the different military units they served in. Also the book may give more information about the different units this Battalion served with.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).