Delaware and Shawnee Indian Agency (Kansas)
United States American Indians Kansas Indians of Kansas Delaware and Shawnee Indian Agency (Kansas) Guide to Delaware and Shawnee Indian Agency (Kansas) ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Records Available through the Family History Library
- Marriage cards, 1890-1928 School census, 1943 Index to allottees (no dates) Register of vital statistics, 1933-1935 FHL Film 1204637
- Allotment or estate records, late 1800's-early 1900's FHL film 1204638
- Allotment or estate records, late 1800's - early 1900's FHL film 1204639
- Family history data, late 1800's-early 1900's Birth and death records, 1925-1943 (includes letters concerning enrollment) FHL film 1204640
- Index and heirship cards, A-O (undated) FHL film 1205231
- Index and heirship cards, P-Z, A-Z (undated) FHL film 1205232
- Inherited interest cards (not dated) Permanent school census cards, 1930-1935 Report of Indian pupils attendance, 1933-1934 FHL film 1204641
- Births and deaths, Iowa and Kickapoo, 1928-1932 Births and deaths, all tribes, 1919-1922 Births and deaths, all tribes, 1920-1930 Probate file, 1936 School census of Indian children, 1924-1927 FHL film 1205233 Items 3-7
- Record of students in schools, 1927-1929 Inherited interests of heirs, 1924-1935 Annual school census report, 1941-1943 School census, 1920-1923 FHL film 1205233 Items 14-17
- Heirship hearings, 1913-1914 FHL film 1023978 Item 2
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online