Denbighshire Nonconformist Records
Many of the county's nonconformist chapel registers are available:
- in an archive or library
- Published as a booklet or microfiche
- On-line as transcriptions of the original registers on the IGI. (However, many of the birth and christening records on the IGI have had patronymic surnames incorrectly applied by the transcriber).
- On-line as part of a pay to use website
Denbighshire Nonconformist Chapels is a spreadsheet listing a combination of details related to chapels in Denbighshire. It can be updated at any time if new information is discovered. This also provides the ability for many people to add or share information that may not be common knowledge especially for researchers outside Wales.The spreadsheet format allows for the list to be filtered or sorted so that all records for a particular parish or denomination might be grouped together.
There are shortcomings of one sort or another related to each of these record listing methods.
- usually only the christening/birth, marriage and burial registers are listed in published guides
- about 25% of chapels have deposited their registers with an archive or library
- many records exist which are not considered registers that may supplement existing registers or serve as substitutes for registers that have not been deposited yet or are lost
It is hoped that the Denbighshire Nonconformist Chapels spreadsheet will provide a more complete list of chapel registers and other chapel records that will supplement missing registers of birth, marriage and death.
- Archives Network Wales
- The Religious Census of 1851 A Calendar of the Returns Relating to Wales, Volume II North Wales
- Nonconformist Registers of Wales
- The Parish Churches and Nonconformist Chapels of Wales
- Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales