Denton Texas Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Denton Texas Family History Center opened on 16 September 1986 and is sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is staffed by volunteers who are knowledgeable and passionate about Family History. We encourage all to come and use our facilities and benefit from our expertise. There is no charge to use the library, computers or programs. There is a very modest fee for copies to cover copier expense and a rental fee for microfilm ordered from the Family History Library in Salt Lake.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 3.1 Collections
- 3.2 FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog. A variety of microfilms and microfiches popular in our center are here on permanent loan. The contents of many microfilms in the Family History Library Catalogue are now available to be viewed online.
- 3.3 Databases and Software
- 3.4 Hardware and Equipment
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Links
- 6 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
Address: 3000 Old North Road; Denton, Texas 76209-6250; United States
- Spanish (some shifts)
- Eric Kaszynski, Stake TFH Consultant - Center: 972-987-0295
- Sunday: 4:30pm - 6:30pm
- Tuesday:10:00am - 9:00pm
- Wednesday:10:00am - 9:00pm
Closed last 2 weeks of year at Christmas, Closed for most major holidays. Closed the first Sunday in April and October for General Conference. Will be closed Sunday, 4/16/2017 for Easter.
Center may be closed for inclement weather or illness of staff but this is rare.
Calendar and Events
Denton Family History Fair and RootsTech Discovery Day - Saturday 22 April 2017 - 8:00am Check in - 12:30pm Last class ends - (Sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the Denton Public Library), Registration form at Discovery Day.
RootsTech 2018 - RootsTech 2018 will be held in February 28-March 3, 2018 at the Salt Palace Convention Center in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Staff Training Meetings
Training for FHC staff on the third Tuesday of each month from 7:00pm to 8:30pm. In addition to staff, all Ward Temple and Family History Consultants in the Denton Stake as well as High Priest Group Leaders are invited.
FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog. A variety of microfilms and microfiches popular in our center are here on permanent loan. The contents of many microfilms in the Family History Library Catalogue are now available to be viewed online.
We also have a broad selection of over 200 volumes of genealogical reference books on hand for use in the Library. Numerous books have been donated to the Denton Texas FHC. Most of the books are helps on researching the United States or specific States with an emphasis in the Southeast. 2-30+ books are available on various countries in Europe, as well as Canada & Mexico. There are also 40+ books on Getting Started and/or How to do research, and a few books on a few surnames: Bingham, Kunz, Jenson, Barnes, Cane/Kean, True/Bevers, Halbrook, Johnsons, several others including Mormon Genealogies.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
Equipment in the Denton Family History Center consists of 6 Dell Desktop Computers with internet connections for Patron Research, 1 Admin Computer and 1 Computer for printing Microfilm and Microfiche images. We also have 3 overhead Microfilm readers, 1 Microfiche reader and 1 Lexmark printer/copier/scanner which connects to FamilySearch Family Tree.
Staff Research Specialties
Several staff members are fluent in Spanish but not in all shifts. Staff is well versed in basic genealogical research, FamilySearch, FS Family Tree, as well as several other Family History programs and websites.
Resources in the Local Area
- Denton County Genealogical Society, c/o Denton Public Library, 502 Oakland St., Denton TX 76201
- Denton Public Library, Special Collections, 502 Oakland St., Denton TX 76201; (940) 349-8752
Volunteer at the Center
- Volunteers are asked to serve a four hour shift per week.
- Sharpen your skills by taking advantage of staff training (the third Tuesday of each month from 7:00pm to 8:30pm.) Open to all Temple and Family History Consultants and High Priest Group Leaders as well.
- Struggling with your Temple and Family History Consultant Calling? Serving at the center will give you the experience of working with others.
- Experienced family historians needed to serve. We need your knowledge and skills.
- Beginning family historians needed also. We need your energy and enthusiasm.