The Detroit-Chicago Road was a military road built over the old Great Sauk Indian Trail to connect Detroit with Fort Dearborn (Chicago).
In the 1830s Chicago experienced the most astounding population surge ever experienced by a major American city. By 1833, the first stagecoaches transported passengers from Detroit to Chicago. In 1838, approximately four thousand persons arrived. Within seven years the Chicgo population doubled and it was at the head of a newly emerging road system fanning out into the rich prairie land just beyond.
This road, the Detroit-Chicago Road, was first traveled by settlers in 1820-1835. The road begins at Detroit, Michigan runs through Wayne, Monroe, Lenawee, Hillsdale, Branch, St Joseph, Cass, and Berrien Counties in Michigan. It continues through La Porte, Porter and Lake Counties in Indiana ending in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois.
Other Wiki Pages
- United States Overland Travel 1784 to 1839, Great Genessee Road, Seneca Road, Catskill Turnpike, Old Kanawha Trail, Nashville Road (National Institute)
- Many of the US Migration Trails and Roads
Detroit-Chicago Road Look at number 34.