Devynnock, Breconshire Genealogy
DEVYNOCK (DEFYNOG), a parish, in the hundred of Devynock, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales, 9 miles (W.) from Brecknock; comprising the townships of Cray, Glyn, Maescar, Senni, and Glyn-Tawe; and containing 1927 inhabitants. The name of this large parish, which anciently formed part of the Great Forest of Devynock, may, according to the historian of Brecknockshire, be traced to the same British root as that of the English county of Devon, both names being descriptive of the face of the country, as varied by deep valleys and extensive hills. The parish is bounded on the north by that of Trallong, from which it is separated by the river Usk; on the south by Ystrad-Velltey, on the east by Llanspythid, and on the west by Llywel; and comprehends a large extent of surface, of which 7331 acres of uninclosed land, belonging to the Great Forest of Brecon, form a considerable part. The church, dedicated to St. Dyfnog, and situated at the northern extremity of the village, where it forms an interesting and prominent feature in the view, is a spacious and venerable structure, principally in the later style of English architecture, with a well-built tower at the western end. There are places of worship for different denominations of dissenters, consisting of the Independents, Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, and Particular Baptists.
For more information see Defynnod, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 304-317. Adapted. Date accessed: 24 January 2014.