Dodge County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Dodge County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Dodge County, Wisconsin|
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||December 7, 1836|
|Address|| Dodge County Courthouse|
127 E Oak Street;
Juneau, WI 53039;
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Dodge County, Wisconsin Record Dates
Dodge County Courthouse
127 E Oak Street;
Juneau, WI 53039;
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage, death and land records from 1877;
Clerk of Courts has divorce and court records;
Register in Probate has probate records from 1854 
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
A fire in 1877 destroyed birth, marriage, and death records from before that date, though the indexes still refer to the records.
Places / Localities
- Nichols Family USGenWeb Archives
- List of Persons for whom there is a biographical sketch in the book History of Dodge County Wisconsin 1880 WIGenWeb Project
- Biographical Index to Dodge County, Wisconsin, Past and Present, VOL. I, by Homer Bishop Hubbell, 1913 WIGenWeb Project
- Biographical Index to Dodge County, Wisconsin, Past and Present, VOL. 2, by Homer Bishop Hubbell, 1913 WIGenWeb Project
- The Steiner and Rall Families WIGenWeb Project
- Autobiography of Alice Minor Hedges WIGenWeb Project
- Links to Biographies of Hiram F. Bolles, W.D. Fox, Hezekiah Peck Jr., Oscar Peck, and J.R. Sherwood USGenWeb Archives
- Dodge County, Wisconsin cemeteries Smaller cemeteries names and location on link page.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Wisconsin Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
- 1905 - 1905 Wisconsin Census Index - Dodge County, Sell to Selle WIGenWeb Project
- 1850 - 1850 Federal Census, Index of Dodge County USGenWeb Archives
- 1870 - Federal Census Index, Dodge County, WIGenWeb Project
Church History and Records
- Church records, 1880-1930 First United Methodist Church in Hartford, Wisconsin. Text in English and German. Contains officials, members, statistics 1880-1899, baptisms, marriages, and deaths 1893-1930. Records also include congregations in Horicon, Clyman and Juneau in Dodge County.
- Records of the Lutheran Church, Dodge County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Kripplein Christi Church, Emmet Township
- St. John's Evangelical Church, Mayville, 1921 Membership list
- St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Ashippun List of foreign-born members (incomplete)
- St. Peter's Evangelical Church, Lebanon
- Membership List, 1863 - Immanuel Lutheran Church of Old Lebanon
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- 1886 Land Sales Reported in Dodge County Pionier WIGenWeb Archives
- 1895 Land Sales Reported in Dodge County Pionier WIGenWeb Archives
- 1903 Land Sales Reported in Dodge County Pionier WIGenWeb Archives
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Wisconsin
- Family Maps of Dodge County, Wisconsin (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com . Free surname search.
Military History and Records
Spanish American War
- Beaver Dam Guards, Company K WIGenWeb Project
Civil War service men from Dodge County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Dodge County.
- - 1st Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Companies B, C, D, K and M
- - 3rd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company K
- - 5th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company D;
- - 5th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry Reorganized, Companies C, D, F and H
- - 8th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company D
- - 10th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company D (These men were from the town of Hartford. There is a town of Hartford in both Dodge and Washington Counties.)
- - 10th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Companies B, E, and K
- Members of the Beaver Dam Rifles WIGenWeb Project
- Civil War Soldiers, Hustisford, Dodge County WIGenWeb Project
- Civil War Soldiers, Leroy, Dodge County WIGenWeb Project
- Civil War Soldiers, Mayville, Dodge County WIGenWeb Project
- Civil War Diary of Isaac W. Clason WIGenWeb Project
- Civil War letter from WG Travis to SJ Shaw, Oct 8, 1860 USGenWeb Archives
- 1883 List of Pensioners - Veterans or Dependents, Dodge County USGenWeb Archives
- Schedules enumerating Union veterans and widows of Union veterans of the Civil War
World War 1
- Wisconsin, World War I Selective Service System draft registration cards, 1917-1918 The draft cards are arranged alphabetically by state, then alphabetically by county or city, and then alphabetically by surname of registrants.
- Dodge Couny World War I Casualties WIGenWeb Project
World War II
- Dodge County Army Enlistees (USGenWeb Archives)
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Wisconsin, county naturalization records, 1807-1992 Large number of links all viewable
- For Dodge and Jefferson counties, order newspaper clippings $
- Dodge County Newspapers as Genealogy Sources WIGenWeb
- Partial Index of the Dodge County Pionier WIGenWeb Project
- Both WIGenWeb Project and USGenWeb Archives have newspaper resources and articles listed.
- USGenWeb Archives has 21 obituaries listed. Scroll down to the Obituary Heading for the list.
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Dodge County Historical Society
105 Park Ave
Beaver Dam, WI 53916
Dodge/ Jefferson County Genealogical Society
PO Box 91
Watertown, WI 53094
- Delayed births, ca. 1937-1941, affidavit delayed births, ca. 1940-1942 [actual birth dates, ca. 1852-1907] Index to registrations of births, 1852-1907" (arranged by birthdate) "Unedited index to registrations of births, 1852-1907" arranged by surname)
The library also has a hard copy index: Index to Wisconsin Delayed and Affidavit Birth Registrations prior to 1 October 1907; 977.5, V22i. Delayed births are arranged by county, then date of registration. Affidavit delayed births are arranged by county, then date of birth.
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1862-1907 Registration of deaths, ca. 1862-1907 Viewable
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1894-1895 Deaths of old settlers from 15 Sep 1894 - 29 Aug 1895 WIGenWeb Project
- 1895-1896 Deaths of old settlers from 29 Aug 1895 - 27 Aug 1896 WiGenWeb Project
- Dodge County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Dodge County WIGenWeb Roots Web Ancestry.com
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 756 Dodge County, Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002). Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Handybook" defined multiple times with different content