Dorton, Buckinghamshire Genealogy
Guide to Dorton, Buckinghamshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Thame|
|Parish registers: 1694|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1590|
|Diocese||Pre-1837 - Lincoln; Post-1836 - Oxford|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham|
|Location of Archive|
|Buckinghamshire Record Office|
DORTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Thame, hundred of Ashendon, county of Buckingham, 5½ miles (N. N. W.) from Thame.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Dorton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|DORTON PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241210.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Buckinghamshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Dorton on GENUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 78-84. Date accessed and adapted 4 June 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Buckingham, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 4 February 2014.
- 'Buckinghamshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 27 January 2014.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 27 September 2013.