Earle's Company, South Carolina Cavalry
Earle's Company, South Carolina Cavalry was an Independent Cavalry Organization. It was created on April 15, 1862 from former men of the 4th Regiment Infantry. At the end of the war, Earle's Company disbanded at Greenville, South Carolina.
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit  .
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book, Units of the Confederate States Army as their main source for the regiment history.FHL book 973 M2crua, WorldCat.
- Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of South Carolina. Microfilm publication M267. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Services, 1958. These records have been indexed and digitized and are available at Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls). (Accessed December 2010)
- Hewett, Janet B., ed. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. Wilmington, North Carolina: Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001. FHL book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 64 and 65. Lists officers, companies, some nicknames for the companies and dates involving the company and places where they were stationed. It states that members of this company are reported as haing deserted in July and August 1862 on the December 31, 1862 rolls (see Vol. 64, p. 169). Locate this book at other libraries.
- Seigler, Robert S. South Carolina's Military Organizations During the War Between the States. Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, c2008. FHL book 975.7 M2sr v. 3. This book has an overview about the creation of the military units for service during the Civil War. There are four volumes which are divided into areas of the State. There is information about the different military units including dates of organization and service, company officers, battle engagements, company names and places of origin, and a few pictures. This book is also available through other libraries.
- Robert S. Seigler. South Carolina's Military Organizations During the War Between the States. (Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, c2008.), v. 3, p 269-270. FHL book 975.7 M2sr v. 3. The book goes into greater detail about the companies and the different military units they served in. Also the book may give more information about the different units this Battalion served with.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).