East Sutton, Kent Genealogy
|England Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to East Sutton, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|East Sutton, Kent|
East Sutton St Peter & St Paul Kent
|Poor Law Union||Hollingbourne|
|Parish registers: 1648; For more records see Sutton Valence|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1563|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
East Sutton St Peter and St Paul is a Grade 1 listed mediaeval church in the village and civil parish of East Sutton, about 6 miles south east of Maidstone, see East Sutton Wikipedia.The parish is in the Diocese of Canterbury see Deanery website ;a map of the parish boundary is available at church near you
The Church of St Peter and Paul, Church Lane East Sutton has been designated a grade I listed building British Listed Building was initially a chapelry of Sutton Valence, Kent and dates from the 13th century with additions and restorations in subsequent centuries. Restorations in 1897-1898 removed plaster from the walls exposing stonework and 1984-1985 brough further restoration. The John E. Vigar Kent Churches website link below illustrates the interior of the church.
The village is small and HM Prison East Sutton is both a prison and a Young Offenders Institution nearby, see HM Prison East Sutton Park Wikipedia.
The village also includes Pleasure House which was home to the liaison of Kind Edward VII and his mistress Alice Keppel.
This parish was in the Hollingbourne registration district See Maidstone Registration District
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
East Sutton, Kent Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Kent, Parish Registers (FamilySearch) - free|
|MIDK = Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911 - free|
|East Sutton, Kent Genealogy Online Parish Records|
||1650-1837; 1757-1807 (Banns)||
|FS PRs||1824-1902 (Banns)|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306857.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these collections using the portal.
Maps and Gazetteers
SUTTON, EAST (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Hollingbourne, hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 6 miles (S. E.) from Maidstone. 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish banns', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish burial records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- 'Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911,' Woodchurch Ancestry Group, accessed 16 January 2014.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 274-280. Date accessed: 06 May 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.