Elk County, Kansas Genealogy
Guide to Elk County, Kansas ancestry, family history and genealogy and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Elk County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||March 3, 1875|
|Address|| Elk County Courthouse|
127 N. Pine Street
Howard, Kansas 67349-0606
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Elk County, Kansas Record Dates
Elk County Courthouse;
127 N Pine Street
Howard, KS 67349
Courthouse burned in 1906.
Clerk Disrict has birth and death records 1885-1911,
marriage and probate records from 1875,
divorce and court records from 1906 and land records from 1871. 
- 1875--Elk County was created 3 March 1875 from Howard (Old) County. County seat: Howard 
1906 Fire burned the courthouse in 1906.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|Kansas Gravestones||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|See Kansas Cemeteries for more information.|
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Elk County, Kansas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Kansas Local Histories.
For information about Civil War records see Chautauqua County.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Elk County, Kansas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Elk and click Probate records.
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Kansas Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
- 1818 - 1936 Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1885 - 1911 Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1811 - 1911 Kansas, Marriages, 1811-1911 at FamilySearch — index
- 1840 - 1935 Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1855 - 1911 Kansas County Marriages, 1855-1911 at FamilySearch — images
- 1855 - 1911 Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911 at Ancestry.com — images $
Societies and Libraries
Elk County Historical Society
Caney Valley Ranch, Route 1
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Elk County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 232-245. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Elk County, Kansas page 250 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).