Ellon, Aberdeenshire, Scotland Genealogy
This is a guide to the history and major genealogical records of Scotland as they pertain to the parish of Ellon. To learn more about how to use these records to search for your ancestors, go to the Scotland: Research Strategies.
- 1 History
- 2 Census Records
- 3 Church Records
- 3.1 Established Church–Old Parochial Registers
- 3.2 Established Church—Kirk Session Records
- 3.3 Monumental Inscriptions
- 3.4 Nonconformist Church Records
- 4 Civil Registration Records
- 5 Probate Records
- 6 References
ELLON, a parish, in the district of Ellon, county of Aberdeen, 16 miles (N. by E.) from Aberdeen. The name of this place is supposed to be derived from the Gaelic term Aibeann, signifying an island, and to have been applied on account of the situation of a small island in the river Ythan, near the village, and contiguous to the ferry formerly used on the principal line of road leading from Aberdeen to the north-eastern district of the county. The church, erected in 1777, is a plain commodious building, accommodating 1200 persons. There is an episcopal chapel near the village, containing between 300 and 400 sittings; also places of worship for members of the Free Church, Independents, and the United Secession.
The New Statistical Account of Scotland (pub. 1834-45) offers uniquely rich and detailed parish reports for the whole of Scotland, covering a vast range of topics including history, agriculture, education, trades, religion and social customs. The reports, written by the parish ministers, are available online at http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/. Click on ‘Browse scanned pages’ then search the parish reports for your parish of interest. Also available at the Family History Library.
A census is a count and description of the population, taken by the government, arranged by locality and by household. Read more about census records.
Here is a list of the Family History Library microfilm numbers for the census records of Ellon as well as the library numbers for any surname indexes available:
|| Family History Llibrary Film Number
|| Surname Indexes|
|| 6086502 (12 fiche)|
The 1901 and 1911 census of Scotland is indexed on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. To use it, you must register and pay a small access fee. All available censuses, 1841-1911, are indexed on this website. It may be easier for you to pay to use the website rather than access the separate indexes through the library.
The Established Church of Scotland was Presbyterian. Read more about church records.
Here are the pre-1855 records that exist for this parish.
Established Church–Old Parochial Registers
| Record Type
|| Years Covered
|| Family History Library Film Number|
Condition of Original Registers—
Index: For an index to these records, see Scotland’s People website, a pay-for-view website. The Scottish Church Records Index is also still available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. Some records may also be indexed in other FamilySearch collections for Scotland.
Births: Birth records are blank September 1650–April 1680, and September 1711–May 1713. There are six leaves containing irregular entries dated 1760–1806, after the record for 1800. Irregular entries are of frequent occurrence. Several leaves of the early portion are partially destroyed by dampness and want of care. Mothers’ names are not recorded in the entries until 1762, and very seldom between 1769–1806. There are fourteen imperfect entries in 1763, and such entries occasionally occur elsewhere in the record.
Marriages: Marriage records are blank November 1645–April 1647. The page containing records for 1649–1650 are illegible. The records are blank August 1669–November 1670, December 1673–October 1676, May 1678–November 1679, April 1682–May 1685, July 1688–September 1709, and November 1712–April 1720.
Deaths: Death records are blank 1649–1655, and November 1658–May 1718. The record prior to 1658 is much wasted. The register of burials terminates August 1741. Mortcloth Dues continue the record down to August 1778. The records are blank until October 1783, when a burial record is again resumed. Except for a few entries of expenses of pauper’s funerals, the record is blank October 1787–October 1808, from which last date a register of burials was kept by the Sexton.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.
Established Church—Kirk Session Records
The Kirk session was the court of the parish. The session was made up of the minister and the land owners and business men of the parish, chosen to serve on the session. The Kirk session dealt with moral issues, minor criminal cases, matters of the poor and education, matters of discipline, and the general concerns of the parish. Kirk session records may also mention births, marriages, and deaths.
Here is a list of the surviving Kirk session records for this parish:
Minutes 1603–1641, 1649–1687, 1713–1826, 1832–1843
Poors’ Accounts 1846–1852
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/147.
CH2/147 Records of Ellon Kirk Session 1603-1942 Online catalogue at the National Archives of Scotland
Minutes 1597–1528, 1634–1643, 1662–1689, 1701–1929
Scroll Minutes 1827–1900
Separate Register 1744–1884
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/146.
CH2/146 Records of Presbytery of Ellon 1597-1929 Online catalogue at National Archives of Scotland
The Kirkyard of Ellon in Aberdeen has been indexed by the North-East Scotland Family History Society.
Online listing is available through the: Aberdeen and North-East Scotland Family History Society
Nonconformist Church Records
A nonconformist church is any church that is not the Established church. Read more about nonconformity in Scotland in the article on the Scotland Church Records Union List.
Ellon Auchmacoy, United Associate Congregation Anti-burgher
The Secession congregation of Ellon was disjoined from Clola in 1791. Their first place of worship was leased at Auchmacoy. When the proprietor refused to renew the lease, they sold the church to him at a valuation and were obliged to move the congregation to Ellon. As Ellon is two miles west of Auchmacoy, this caused a loss in the number of members. A church was built in1827.
Membership: 1841, 183
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. Film #477618. More details are given in the source.
Miscellaneous Papers 1826–1887
Other post-1855 records
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/1148.
Ellon Free Church
At the Disruption the adherents of the Free Church here formed a congregation, and acquired possession of an Independent church in the place. A missionary was forthwith appointed. The charge was sanctioned in 1845. Later the church was rebuilt on the same site.
Membership: 1848, 212; 1900, 198.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572. More details are given in the source.
Deacon’s Court minutes 1845–1886
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/1149.
CH3/1149 Ellon, Free Church, South United Free, St Andrew's C. of S. 1845-1947 Online National Archives Catalogue
Ellon Free Presbytery
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/123.
CH3/123 Ellon Free Presbytery 1843-1900 Online Catalogue at National Archives of Scotland
Ellon Congregational Church
This congregation existed for only a brief time, 1828–1835, and it is unlikely that any records exist. In 1841 there were only 47 Independents residing in the parish.
Scottish Episcopal Church
St Mary on The Rock Episcopal Church
The present church was built in 1776 on the site of a previous medieval church. It replaced another earlier church at Craighall.
Source: History of St Mary on the Rock Episcopal Church, by Peter Mander. 
Records—The extent of Records is unknown.
For more information write to:
Aberdeenshire AB41 9NP
Some of the church records have been transcribed by Archibald Maxwell Strath and were self published as "The Registers of St Mary on-the-Rock Episcopal Chapel, Ellon, Diocese of Aberdeen and Orkney, Scotland : 1763-1871".
Archibald Maxwell Strath also transcribed and self published " The Registers of Baptisms by Rev. John Cruickshank of Macterry & sub chapels of Hall & Tillydesk, Diocese of Aberdeen & Okney, 1772-1790"
Copies are held by the Aberdeen County Library, Meldrum Old Meg Way, Meadows Industrial Estate, Old Meldrum, AB51 OGN, Scotland
Further copies at held at the Aberdeen & North East Scotland Family History Society, 4 King St. Aberdeen, AB24 5BD Scotland. http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/
Bairnie and Tillydesk, near Ellon Episcopal Church
The congregation has existed since 1688. In the 1790's there was a clergyman in the parish and membership was about 130. A chapel was erected in 1815. In 1841 there were 147 Episcopalians in the parish but many others from adjoining parishes attended services here.
Source: History of the Scottish Episcopal Church, by John P. Lawson, pub. 1843. Copies of this book are not available in the Family History Library.
Online records (at FamilySearch.org) include the above named places, and may also include names from Elsemont Chapelhall (Udny), Belhevie, Cruden, Old Deer, Ellon, Fintray, Foveran, Fraserburgh, Logie, Meithlick, and Slains.
Family History Library Call Number
Baptisms/Christenings 1763–1801 941 B4sr vol. 30 X
Christenings, Marriages, and Burials, 1816–1854
Note: The X means the records have been extracted.
For more information write to:
Aberdeenshire AB41 9NP
Civil Registration Records
Government or civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths (also called statutory records) began on January 1, 1855 in Scotland. Each parish has a registrar's office and large cities have several. The records are created by the registrars and copies are sent to the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Annual indexes are then created for the records for the whole country.
See the article on Scotland Civil Registration for more information and to access the records.
Ellon was under the probate jurisdiction of the Commissary Court of Aberdeen until 1823, and since then has been under the Sheriff's Court of Aberdeen. Probate records for 1513- 1901 are indexed online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. You must register on the website but use of the index to probate records, called 'Wills & Testaments,' is free. You may then purchase a copy of the document or, if the document is before 1823, it will be on microfilm at the Family History Library. To find the microfilm numbers, search in the library catalog for the 'Place-names' of Aberdeen and the subject of 'Probate records.' Then click on the link to the records of the Commissariat of Aberdeen.
The library also has some post-1823 probate records for Aberdeen. Look in the library catalog for the 'Place-names' of Aberdeen and the subjects of 'Probate Records' and 'Probate Records - Indexes.'
Read more about Scotland Probate Records.
Return to Aberdeenshire parish list.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846), pp. 499-514. Adapted. Date accessed: 12 June 2014.