|England Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to England ancestry, family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
England is one of the four constituent countries of the United Kingdom (together with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). It has a history that goes back over a thousand years. In 1707, the Kingdom of England joined the Kingdom of Scotland in union to become the Kingdom of Great Britain. The official language is English.
Getting Started with England Research
Links to articles on getting started with English research.
England Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in English research.
England Clickable Map
Genealogy records are kept at the Parish level in England. Click on a county below to go to the county Wiki article listing more information.
Counties and Parishes
Genealogy records are kept on the county and parish level in England. Click on a county or parish name below to go to the relevant wiki article listing more information.
More England Research Strategies
Research strategies give guidance on how to research or what records to search for first. Below are additional research strategy Wiki articles for England Genealogy Research.
- England Research Guidance Category
- Finding Ancestors in England
- English Ancestry - Video Tutorials and Lessons
- English Script Tutorial
- A Checklist of Compiled Sources and Where to Find Them
More England Research Tools
Research tools can include resources that assist in locating correct records to search and determining the correct locality to search in. Below are links and Wiki articles to research tools for England.
- England Jurisdiction 1851 Maps project
- Topographical Dictionary of England (1848)
- England Genealogical Discussion Groups
- The Workhouse
- thepeerage.com A genealogical survey of the peerage of Britain as well as the royal families of Europe
- Phillimore's Atlas and Index of Parish Registers (2003) - available at Ancestry
- Discovering English Ancestors a BYU research guide.
- Accessing FamilySearch's Record Collections in One Step for England
- Hey, David, Journeys in Family History: Exploring Your Past, Finding Your Ancestors, 2003, The British National Archives Guide to Exploring Your Past.
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in resourcing your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
- Wikipedia contributors, "England," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England, accessed 23 March 2016.