Episcopalian Churches in Dundee--Dundee Angus Parish -282
Gives a history of Episcoplaian Churches in Dundee, Records their availability and where you can write for more records in Scotland.
In 1661, the Rescissory Act deposed Presbyterianism in Scotland and re–established Episcopacy. A Bishop was consecrated at Brechin, an ancient Anglican see, and Episcopacy was strong in this part of Scotland. However, after the Presbyterian Revolution, and particularly after the 1715 and 1745 rebellions, adherents of the Episcopalian church were greatly persecuted and membership dwindled. From 1835 membership began to recover. There has been a congregation in Dundee since the late 17th century. Dundee is the seat of the Diocese of Brechin and the Cathedral is dedicated to St. Paul. In 1829, the congregation was joined by an English Episcopal congregation. As membership grew, St. Magdalene’s congregation was established. Other congregations in Dundee were founded on mission work in the mid–to–late 19th century. Only St. Mary Magdalene’s and St. Paul’s congregations pre-date 1855.
Sources for Scottish Genealogy and Family History, by D.J. Steel 1970, FHL Ref. 942 V26ste vol. 12, pp 196–201 and 244–8; also The Episcopal Church of Scotland, by John P. Lawson, pub. 1844, not available at the FHL.
St. Paul’s christening registers for 1722–1726, published in the Scottish Historical Review; available on FHL Film 0918220.
More records are known to exist but particulars are not available. For more information write to the churches at:
- St. Paul’s Cathedral Rectory
1 High Street
Dundee DD1 1TD, Scotland
- St. Mary Magdalene’s Rectory
Dudhope Crescent Road
Dundee DD1 5RR, Scotland