Epping, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Epping, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
All Saints, Epping Upland, Essex
|Poor Law Union||Epping|
|Parish registers: 1539|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1639; 1803|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
EPPING (All Saints), is a town and a parish, as well as the head of a union, it is chiefly in the hundred of Waltham, but partly in that of Harlow, the S. division of Essex Epping is 17½ miles (W. by S.) from Chelmsford, and 16¾ (N. E. by N.) from London. At Epping-Street is a chapel dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends and Independents, the former of which, though bordering on the town, is in an adjoining parish.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Epping, Essex Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|Epping, Essex Genealogy Online Parish Records|
- Society of Friends/Quaker
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
Epping on GENUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848. Adapted: Date accessed 21 May 2013.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 15 May 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 15 May 2012.