Exeter England Family History Centre
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
We are a volunteer run family history centre serving Exeter and surrounding areas. Films can be shipped to our centre after using the following website FamilySearch.org to order them. We have helpful, friendly volunteers who can help you get started or assist you with your research.
- 1 Centre Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Centre Resources
- 4 Centre Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Centre
Centre Contacts and Hours
- Link to location on google map
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Wonford Road, Devon, England. EX2 4UD United Kingdom
- We are opposite the Nuffield Hospital.
- We have ample car parking, at the front or to the rear of the Chapel.
- We have level access from the rear car park and a slight slope from the front.
- We are Wheelchair accessible.
- Where possible please go to the front door and ring the bell (black switch) on the left.
- (44) 0 1392 250 723
Opening hours: (as of March 1st 2017)
- Tuesdays: 10:30am - 12:30 and 1:30pm - 3:30pm
- Wednesday: 10:30am - 12:30 -and 1:30 - 3:30pm
- Thursday: 11:30am - 1:30pm - 2:30pm - 4:30pm (4:30pm - 8:30pm by appointment only)
- Fridays: 1:30pm - 4:30pm and 6pm - 9pm
- Saturdays: Closed
- 1:1 support may be arranged by appointment, please email or call to request.
- You are welcome to drop-in anytime during opening hours to discuss how we can help.
- To ensure access to computers, film reader please make an appointment.
- You are welcome to bring your own laptop, we would be delighted to help you set up your FamilySearch account and help you access other free software.
Easter Weekend: We will be closed on the Easter weekend (Friday - Monday).
Christmas 2016: We will be closed December 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th.
New Year 2017: We will be closed December 31st , January 1st , January 2nd,
Calendar and Events
Class Schedule: COMING SOON - FREE TO ALL, a beginners classes open to all; Discover how much you can find out in only four 2 hour sessions, we are sure you will be surprised.
We are now collecting participants details so that we can organize a suitable day/time for the next class. Please contact us on the telephone number or email address above. Closing date April 30th 2017.
1:1 instruction is available by appointment during our normal opening hours.
Staff Training Meetings
- Collections: We have a small collection of microfilms in stock, details of which you will find when ordering your preferred film(s) through the online ordering system (FamilySearch.org).
- 'FHC Portal' This center has a Family History Centre Portal providing free access to premium family history software and websites such as Ancestry, findmypast, MyHeritage and the Genealogists, as well as other websites.
- Hardware and Equipment:
- We have three large screen computers which can be reserved for one or two hours sessions (Longer use may be available please call 01392 250723 during opening hours enquire),
- We have a Lexmark printer/scanner which can be used to scan documents and photos directly into your FamilySearch Family Tree or for printing documents (Black & White only).
- We have a microfilm reader which can be reserved for one or more hours.
- We have Wifi access so you can bring your own laptop or tablet. There is no portal access from the Wifi but we can help you setup and use a free FamilySearch account and other free software.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
The Devon Record Office is located on the outskirts of Exeter at Great Moor House, Bittern Road Sowton, Exeter, Devon EX2 7NL 01392 384253
The Devon Family History Society 'Tree House' is located in the centre of city off Fore Street in the city centre at: Unit 1 , 7-9 King Street, Exeter, EX1 1BQ
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Centre
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)