FamilySearch Indexing: US—Index to Correspondence of the Record and Pension Office, 1889–1904, Overview
From FamilySearch Wiki
Project Home Page
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for new volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Characteristics and Description
- This project has cards that index the names of servicemen about whom questions were being asked concerning their service or pension status.
- The project includes two main types of indexing cards: general index cards and cross-reference cards.
- Each batch has 30 images.
- Each image shows one card, and each card contains just one record.
- The index cards were handwritten on printed forms.
- Only the front of the index card has data to be indexed.
- The back of a card has no data to be indexed. Mark this type of image as a No Extractable Data Image.
- Highlights are available.
- Project instructions (for this project)
- Basic indexing guidelines (for all projects)
- Field helps (a printable list of all field helps)
- Project updates (current information and questions and answers about this project, updated as needed).
- The completed index will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published. The digital images will be accessible to active FamilySearch account holders once an authentication system is put in place on Record Search. Until authentication is available, the images will not be accessible.