FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 17 Jan 2012

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

MeetingPlace ID: 0000; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: 877-453-7266  1 p.m. Mountain time on Tuesdays

  • You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
  • Prior to joining the meeting for the first time, run the MeetingPlace Test to verify that you can participate in a web meeting.

Purpose of the meeting

Improve the Wiki

  • Forge solutions with other community contributors.
  • Share best practices, ideas, and content.
  • Discuss current issues, community matters, and strategies.
  • Move issues to decision.

Introduce new members

Kudos go to ...

  • Janell for being on the FGS radio broadcast chat, fielding questions.  I saw Steve there, too.  Not sure who else was there.  Thanks!  Lise 18:10, 17 January 2012 (UTC)
  • Lise for averting a crisis
  • Sandra Pond and the Wiki support team for bringing broken links down from over 4,000 to 30!

Updates and follow up

  • Thomas MacEntee has requested help developing a "getting started with the FamilySearch wiki" page for the FGS web site.  I think it's a great opportunity to help facilitate societies' contributions to the wiki.  He already has the link to the Contributor Help page.  I'd love to brainstorm ideas for a page for FGS.  Lise 17:54, 17 January 2012 (UTC)
  • This would be a resource for societies to see the value of the Wiki and add to articles
  • Jane suggested "Getting Started:General Research" page has great information. This would be a good example of what could be done.
  • There is a page about developing a society page - Help:Creating a Society page
  • Jane and Lise will work on this and get back to Thomas
  • Business Card - Carol and Darris 
  • URL has been added and it has gone to graphics and marketing.
  • A template will be ready for Rootstech
  • What format should be used so that people can edit it?
  • IT  group should be able to help us with an Adobe Acrobat Creator
    Moderator business card.jpg
  • Report from James and Lise on their presentations this past week
  • Lise - radio broadcast went well, with a  large audience - over 45.  There seemed a lot of interest from societies to get involved with Wiki.  The follow up is critical.  
  • Report from Nathan - Brainstorm ideas for a Widget/Button/Badge for libraries, societies, organizations to include on their pages that identifes them as being mentioned/featured in the FamilySearch wiki. See Maureen Taylor's blog for a Wikipedia example. Thanks to Fran Jensen for pointing this out. (Did we ever finish this discussion?)
  • Widget box could be created for  Society sites, etc. that would lead people back to the Wiki.
  • Make an official widget for Wiki?  If it's on an  account, it doesn't have ads on it.  Jane has an account on Widgetbox
  • If we had a widget, socities would be happy to use it.  Get FamilySearch to pay for it?
  • Darris will talk to Janell about going further with this, with Jane and will report back next week for any status updates
  • Widgetbox has a lot of LDS widgets.


  • Live Chat is up and running and we've received a few. Jane has added a template to some pages to make people more aware.
Chat with Support
Hours (MST):
      M 8-5             Tu  11-5 
              W-Th-F  8-5    
  • UGA - 3rd Thursday meeting on the 19th will be about the Wiki

Style Guide Discussions

Project Help Requests

Need help with your project? See a project that needs to be done? Add it here:

Training Requests

Improve the Wiki

  • User talk:TrostLZ  Would someone from Historical Records be able to look at this page and address the question from the contributor?

Moderators and Adopters

  Forums Overview

Be part of the solution! Make your opinions known! Post comments to an existing thread or start a new discussion at Wiki Contributors Corner forum.
Current forum threads of interest:


New since last week

  • Press Releases in the Wiki Some press releases have been copied into the wiki verbatim. Finding and updating/integrating press release content might be a good project.
  • It would be good to know who posted and where the information came from and validity
  • Add as an agenda item for Style Guide section next week
We will discuss this page again next week.

Comments added since last week

Decisions made since last week

Be bold! Post your agenda items!

Feel free to post on the agenda any items you wish to discuss during the meeting. If your item requires details or feedback, post them on the discussion page and link to them from the agenda.