FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 1 August 2013
To review the recording of a previous meeting, click MeetingPlace Select Find a Meeting (ID 0000), enter the date (or date range -- such as Jan 1, 2013), and click Search. Scroll down and select the meeting you wish to review.
Kudos go to
- Thank you for Wiki link fix. (Janell and the engineers).
- Link to family history center locator to the link for the FHC on the Wiki.
Moderators and Adopters
We are looking forward to your feedback on how things are going as well as:
- hints or tips you have to share that may benefit other moderators or adopters
- ways to resolve problems that arise
Moderator sign up may require sign in. Discuss approaching current contributors. Make sure questions on form provide more than a yes or no answer. Discuss putting an altenate method/contact to sign up.
- areas that you may need assistance
- Lee - Massachusetts
- Rorie - Idaho, North American Indian Project
- Lise - Illinois
- Robin - South Carolina
- Wilma - Idaho (main page), Washington (temp; working with a team)
- Judy - (will request officially two parishes in Sweden.
Feedback received on July 11th Meeting:
1. As a new moderator, it would have been nice to have someone tell me what I needed to do as a moderator
2. Lots of people simply don't know what to do. Some people aren't willing to put that much time into it because there wasn't structured training.
We appreciate the feedback from July 11th. We have are working with the team that provides support for moderators. We have divided the support and training into three segments so far, and we are currently working on editing articles so that they give more instruction and relate more to how moderators use features such as watch pages, set preferences, work with contributors, etc.
- Set up: Will include basic assignments posted to the moderator's talk page covering how to get started (We are currently editing articles that are linked to the 6-7 assignments in this section). Be sure to add information about setting preferences to receive communications via e-mail.
- Moderating: Basic assignments will include routine duties of moderators (resolving problems answer questions.
- Ongoing duties: Will include instruction for building the community and recognizing contributors.
We are very interested in your feedback at this phase of planning. Please contact Howard Camp (User:Hncamp OR firstname.lastname@example.org) or Robin Foster (SavingStories) with your ideas and concerns.
- Moderators need more guidance on how to help:
- Find new contributors
There needs to be a different form for sign-ups! (We now provide support for existing contributors)
- Determine what needs to be done (coming with new training)
- Engage contributors, give them something specific to do (Moderator section)
- Follow up, checking that it was done well, giving guidance (Howard Camp)
- How Moderators, Project Leaders, and Adopters can work together (Advanced stage)
- Find new contributors
Feedback: Contributor piece has changed.
Conversation in the call:
Updates and follow up
Community Council Report
New Agenda Items