FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 21 February 2013
To review the recording of a previous meeting, click MeetingPlace Select Find a Meeting (ID 0000), enter the date (or date range -- such as Jan 1, 2013), and click Search. Scroll down and select the meeting you wish to review.
Introduce new members
Kudos go to ...
Updates and follow up
- The page for discussions from this meeting that are unresolved is Community Discussions and Proposals.
- Links to FamilySearch databases and digitized books. Can Wiki be forced to open a new tab. Steve looked at creating a template but it is more complicated than we thought. Links are not persistent links.
- SEO testing is still ongoing. Nathan is getting necessary information for comparisons.
Community Council Report
Rootstech breakfast - 7:15 AM at Family History Library (back door, third floor break room). Thursday, March 21st. Details will be posted.
New Agenda Items
Priority items for this meeting:
- News and Events
- Other channels, blogs, Facebook better as sources
- Council decided that the wiki should direct users to these better sources rather than add "news" content directly in the wiki
- Next steps - recommend change to wiki policy and advise others via the FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting
- Goal for this item: Remove the "News" box from locality pages, since they are not usually maintained and links would better serve the public.
- Steps to achieve this goal:
- Danielle could talk to Marilyn Markham about taking out the News & Events sections on the locality pages, by missionaries. They would have to know how to manage the templates.
- Steve Cottrell could use the "replace text" function to expedite this process, especially for blank boxes.
- Per David Dilts, this could be complicated.
- Charles can check with foreign wiki managers to see if this would be a problem for them.
- Danielle will talk to GSWAC and report back on their position on this change.
- Assignments and dates of completion:
- Evaluation date: 28 Feb. 2013