FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 6 June 2013
To review the recording of a previous meeting, click MeetingPlace Select Find a Meeting (ID 0000), enter the date (or date range -- such as Jan 1, 2013), and click Search. Scroll down and select the meeting you wish to review.
Introduce new members
- Cecelia Wilbur - intern, works with Ben Fuller on Dorothy's team. Writing and research experience.
- Ian Edwards - moderator for Wales, retired head of IT in university. Member of Wiki community advisory council. Interest in technical side, correct coding. Ben Fuller is also going into web design
Kudos go to ...
Moderators and Adopters
- Moderators to offer: Tips and best practices for resolving problems; questions and feedback
- How much copy and paste is allowed from Genuki and Wikipedia? Books the data is from are gazetteers that are out of print. But Genuki has copyright of that version. Link to it.
- If you can get hold of an original book and type it out, but to copy from their site.
- Wikipedia is not copyrighted.
- Why bother doing the Wiki, point straight to Genuki?
- Paraphrase, cite, and point
- The way the wiki will succeed is has to be better than the competing product. Not just a copy from a competing product.
- Or contact the owner and get permission:
- Find the people who are making the assignments, and talk with them.
- Discussion re: responsibilities, "super moderator,"....
- Supermoderator - gives all other moderators a go-to person, can help resolve issues, some training, a person who knows who to refer a question to, if needed;
- Who would want to do it? Two perhaps that work together? They may be people higher in the structure; May be an administrator; an employee? From the community?
- Difference: certain moderators become super moderators
Updates and follow up
- Question: Are these 'Local Histories...at BYU Digital Archives' pages to be updated? For example, Local Histories of the United States on BYU Digital Archives, Pennsylvania - South Dakota. The books are now in the FamilySearch digital books, I believe, at least the ones I looked at.
- Check with US/Canada or Dennis Meldrum
- Update? If so, but in different format. Table to large. Transpose - reverse column/row
- Demonstrate how to use ~ ~ ~ ~ on Talk pages.
Community Council Report
New Agenda Items
- Updates on FamilySearch Wiki Facebook page - Cecelia Wilbur. May - 3,000 fans! One week later, 3040. Can bring all the users/moderators together. Communities for FamilySearch and many others. Encourage to use facebook for moderator/adopter issues, etc. US/Canada rep can be added as an admin.
- Also FS Wiki Twitter page Twitter at "Records Wiki"