FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 8 August 2013
To review the recording of a previous meeting, click MeetingPlace Select Find a Meeting (ID 0000), enter the date (or date range -- such as Jan 1, 2013), and click Search. Scroll down and select the meeting you wish to review.
Kudos go to
Moderators and Adopters
Conversation in the call:
Updates and follow up
- Idaho page is fixed (Wilma).
- Image files are decaying. Images are disappearing. History of image is there, but the image is gone. May be the FCK editor. Please e-mail Lee if you find a missing image. firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- amp injection is still being found
- Usability update (Kathryn) - Refined goals for project. 1st round of testing will be with consultants. Focus is usability of state, county pages. 15 to be tested. Using three versions of Massachusetts pages.
Community Council Report
Community Council Minutes August meetings have been canceled.
New Agenda Items
Resources that help users identify historical records generated for example, in US colonial period and before county formations are greatly needed (also any extinct counties, districts, townships). What steps can contributors take to make sure users can find resources in these areas?
1. Look at the localities that you have knowledge about.
2. Pick an area. Learn about boundary changes. Use the following resources to learn about boundaries:
- See Newberry Library Atlas of Historical Boundaries
- See also Colonial Times
- Red Book
- State boundaries, The Census Book
- The Township Atlas
- Resources at the local archives
3. Learn where records are held during different time periods
4. Look for resources through genealogical societies, local library, university libraries, historical societies, etc.
5. Check online sites such as Internet Archives and Google Books for publications that can help users learn more about local histories. Some may also mention early settlers or allied family.
6. Identify record types and what these records contain.
7. Attend a local genealogical workshop conference to meet other experts and learn of resources.
We will continue in an upcoming meeting after August 22nd.