FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting Agenda 18 January 2011
Join the meeting, the ID is 0000
1 p.m. Utah time on Tuesdays
(If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist. Prior to joining the meeting for the first time, run the MeetingPlace Test to verify that you can participate in a web meeting.)
Kudos go to ...
- Elaine Hasleton has agreed to take notes for most of our meetings. Thanks, Elaine!
Notice from Mike Ritchey: "... and the new version of OpenOffice does not convert Word documents to wiki code. So I Googled the problem and found another solution. There’s an add-on for Word 2007 and later that converts Word documents (right from within Word) to MediaWiki code. I didn’t try converting anything as complicated as a table, but the add-on works nicely with headings and outlines. To read about it or get the link to the download, visit Help:WordToWiki "
- Janell Vasquez will be leading our meeting today.
- Lise Embley has agreed to facilitate the discussion for January 25th.
Current Wiki Contributors Corner forum threads of interest:
1. Have Community members facilitate the meeting?
If yes, how often, who plans the agenda, etc.
• Involve the community as much as possible. People can be reluctant to lead the meetings and add things to the agenda. Asking a person could either increase or decrease attendance.
• The decision made was that if you do not want to facilitate one of these meetings, then let us know. Otherwise you may be asked to facilitate this meeting sometime.
2. Discussion item: Bring discussions and forum threads to community decision.
From the forum thread:
–"With so much to read, a large percentage of us lose interest or don't have time
–Great ideas get buried without implementation
–Decisions are either not made...
...or are made by those who attend a virtual meeting
...or by a FamilySearch employee without a Community discussion or vote
–It is unclear who should follow through, implement, and update the Wiki accordingly"
- What is the decision process
- Consensus (and what does that mean to the Community?)
• Consensus of all the people who were present or agreed to disagree. Majority of the group can live with the decision that was made. Might have to involve them. Implementation may be more difficult. Bottom line is that community makes the decision.
- Number of people involved in the decision
What part do Forums and meetings play?
1. Forums are a great place to discuss but not a great place to come to a decision.
• This will be put up on the forums: we would like to see the community group of links broke into two groups of links. 1) end users and 2) contributors.
o We’ve been trying to bring in the contributors.
o We need to start separating out the two groups of users.
o Is something else needed to get them a more pointed message?
o This will be discussed in a forum post so there will be feedback and suggestions.
o What are the issues of content of the contributors meetings:
1. Tips and Tricks or best practices
2. Learn what projects people are working on
3. Exactly what you do if you have no experience, how to register, preferences, how to edit, how upload pictures so know what to do.
4. Beyond the basics
5. Adopters and moderators
Who implements a decision in the Wiki and on which pages?
o Dependent on how technical it is
- Forum threads that fit todays' discussion: Forum Digest: a plan for reaching decisions, implementing ideas
For next week:
Lise Embley will facilitate the meeting.
From the Community
From FamilySearch Staff